About This Chapter
Addition - Chapter Summary
When you use these short and informative Addition video lessons, you can teach 3rd graders how to add numbers with two, three and more digits. You can also show them how to solve input/output tables. Testing your students with the chapter examination can ensure that they understand the various addition concepts that are presented.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Perform Addition: Steps and Examples||Students learn various techniques for adding numbers and sets of numbers.|
|How to Complete the Addition Sentence||Teachers show 3rd graders how to perform this function.|
|Working with Addition Input / Output Tables||Students are taught various arithmetic patterns in this lesson.|
|Adding Two Numbers up to Three Digits||Instructors teach students to solve word problems with multiple digits.|
|Adding Two Numbers with Four or More Digits||In this lesson, students have opportunities to complete examples of adding multiple-digit numbers.|
|Adding Three or More Numbers with Four or More Digits||This lesson presents students with techniques for adding numbers with three, four or more digits.|
|Balancing Addition Equations||Students are allowed practice the strategies for balancing these equations.|
|Addition Patterns Over Increasing Place Values||Students can apply what they've learned about addition patterns and place values.|
1. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
2. How to Complete the Addition Sentence
In this video lesson, you will learn how to complete an addition sentence when you have one missing term. See what an addition sentence looks like and the possible missing terms you can expect to find.
3. Working with Addition Input-Output Tables
In this lesson, you will learn what an input-output table is and how to use it. You will learn the vocabulary used with input/output tables and be able to complete an addition input/output table by the end of the lesson.
4. How to Add Two Numbers up to Three Digits
This lesson teaches you how to add up to three-digit numbers without regrouping. As a basic skill, adding will help you in various ways during each and every day.
5. How to Add Two Numbers with Four or More Digits
So, you already know how to add two-digit numbers and now you're ready to move on to something harder? In this lesson, you will learn how to add two numbers that have four or more digits!
6. How to Add Three or More Numbers with Four or More Digits
In this lesson, learn step-by-step how you can add three or more numbers that have four or more digits. Brush up on place value and find out how it can help you solve addition problems like this.
7. How to Balance Addition Equations
In this lesson, you will learn how you can make sure that an addition equation is balanced. You will discover how this is the same as making sure both sides are equal. Then, learn how you can find the missing number.
8. Identifying Addition Patterns Over Increasing Place Values
In this lesson, you will learn how to take a basic addition fact that you know and use it to figure out patterns of addition when place values increase.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time