About This Chapter
Decimals - Chapter Summary
This Decimals chapter is designed to increase 3rd graders' knowledge of the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimals, and for solving problems that include decimals or fractions. Fun and easy to understand, the video lessons are often less than ten minutes long. Questions about the material may be submitted to instructors.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Working with Decimals||In this lesson, 3rd grade students learn how to read, write, round and order decimals.|
|What is a Decimal Place Value?||Students have opportunities to learn about a digit's location in a number.|
|Using Word Names for Decimal Numbers||Students can apply what they learn about decimal word names in this lesson.|
|Comparing and Ordering Decimals||During this lesson, students are taught how to sort, count and compare decimals.|
|Inequalities with Decimals||Instructors teach students how to solve inequalities with decimals in this lesson.|
|Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers||Teachers outline this process for their 3rd grade students.|
|Adding and Subtracting Decimals||In this lesson, students are taught to solve word problems that include the addition and subtraction of decimals.|
|Multiplying and Dividing Decimals||Students have opportunities to apply their knowledge by completing examples.|
|How to Estimate Decimals in Math||This lesson teaches students how to estimate decimals by rounding numbers.|
|Practice Estimating Sums, Differences and Products of Decimals||Students can complete practice problems in this lesson.|
|Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers||Instructors outline the procedures for solving these kinds of math problems.|
1. Working with Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will become well acquainted with decimals and how to work with them. Learn how you can use them to help you describe what is going on around you.
2. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
3. Using Word Names for Decimal Numbers
In this video lesson, we go in depth into translating our decimal numbers into the English language. Learn how to write out decimal numbers and the special situations that there are.
4. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
5. Inequalities with Decimals
In this video lesson, we talk about solving inequalities with decimals. You will learn in what order to take your steps to solve these types of problems.
6. Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to convert easily between decimals and mixed numbers. Learn what kinds of decimals you can and cannot convert to a mixed number.
7. Converting Repeating Decimals into Fractions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any repeating decimal that you come across into a fraction. Learn how to write the two equations that are needed for the conversion.
8. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
9. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
10. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
11. Estimating Sums, Differences & Products of Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to estimate any decimal number to help you simplify your math problems. See how easy it is to estimate your answer when you are trying to find the sum, difference, or product.
12. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time