About This Chapter
Estimation and Rounding - Chapter Summary
The Estimation and Rounding chapter includes engaging video lessons that help you teach your 3rd grade students how to solve inequalities and methods of rounding numbers. Other lessons focus on teaching students how to estimate differences, quotients and products. The self-assessment quizzes and chapter examination can assist you in verifying that your students are learning the information you've presented.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Round Whole Numbers||Students can learn how to round multiple-digit whole numbers to the nearest tens or hundreds.|
|Rounding Numbers to the Nearest Thousand, Ten Thousand and Hundred Thousand||Teachers provide students with tips for rounding larger numbers.|
|Estimating a Difference by Rounding||Instructors can teach strategies for estimating a difference.|
|Estimating by Front End Estimation||Students learn about estimating a sum and a difference with this method.|
|Rounding Decimals||In this lesson, 3rd graders are taught how to round whole decimals and numbers.|
|Estimating the Sum and Difference Between Two Decimals||Students can demonstrate their knowledge of this technique by completing examples.|
|How to Round Mixed Numbers||During this lesson, instructors teach 3rd graders to round mixed numbers.|
|Estimating Products||Students gain practice in estimating products.|
|Estimating Quotients||Instructors teach their students the steps for estimating quotients.|
|How to Solve Inequalities Using Estimation||Teachers provide their 3rd graders with strategies for solving inequalities with this method.|
1. How to Round Whole Numbers
View this lesson to learn how you can round whole numbers. Practice rounding to the nearest tens and hundreds. Learn which digit you need to look at to know whether to round up or down.
2. Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1000, 10,000 & 100,000
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to round larger numbers like a pro. Learn what the cutoff numbers are for rounding up and down to the nearest thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
3. Estimating a Difference by Rounding
After studying this lesson, you will understand rounding basics. You'll also learn how to quickly solve subtraction problems by using your rounding skills.
4. How to Use Front-End Estimation
In this video lesson, you will learn how to estimate addition and subtraction problems by using the method of front end estimation. Learn what is involved and what you need to be careful of.
5. Rounding Decimals & Finding the Missing Digit
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to round decimals and how to use your knowledge of rounding to help you find a missing digit. Learn what the difference is between rounding decimals and rounding regular numbers.
6. Estimating the Sum & Difference Between Two Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how to take an addition or subtraction problem with decimals and estimate the answer by rounding. You will learn that a rounded answer is very close to the actual answer.
7. How to Round Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to round mixed numbers easily and quickly. You will learn about what number to look at to determine whether you should round up or round down.
8. How to Estimate Products
In multiplication problems, sometimes we want to get an answer that is 'close enough,' not exact. In this lesson, you will learn how to estimate products to get a 'close enough' answer.
9. How to Estimate Quotients
It may seem crazy to think you can quickly estimate the answer to something like 81,837/95 but by the end of this lesson, you'll be able to easily estimate quotients of simple and more difficult division problems. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with practice examples.
10. How to Solve Inequalities Using Estimation
In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve inequality problems without doing a lot of complicated addition and subtraction. We'll explore the process of estimating the quantities on both sides of the inequality symbol, which can be helpful when solving these problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time