About This Chapter
Fractions - Chapter Summary
Teachers may use the video lessons in this Fractions chapter to teach their 3rd graders how to solve problems that involve fractions and decimals. The videos highlight the processes of ordering fractions and comparing decimals. The teachers can verify what their students are learning by administering quizzes.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types||Students learn about mixed numbers along with proper and improper fractions.|
|Identifying Fractions||Teachers explain various methods of identifying fractions in this lesson.|
|How to Raise and Reduce Fractions||Students can practice carrying out these functions.|
|Relating Fractions and Decimals||Instructors teach the steps for solving these types of problems in this lesson.|
|How to Find Least Common Denominators||During this lesson, students learn techniques for finding the least common denominator.|
|Comparing and Ordering Fractions||Teachers explain this process to their 3rd graders.|
|Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions and Whole Numbers||Students learn to understand and apply the concepts of this process.|
|Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form||Instructors explain how to switch between these forms.|
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Identifying Fractions
If you were told that you could have 1/4 of the pizza with 8 total slices, do you know what that means? How many slices would that be? Well if you are not sure, you better learn about fractions and what each part of the fraction means!
3. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
4. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
5. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
6. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
7. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
8. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time