About This Chapter
3rd Grade Math: Geometric Shapes & Figures - Chapter Summary
These lessons have been designed to help 3rd grade students of all levels gain a better understanding of geometric shapes and figures. The lessons explain fundamental information about various shapes and figures, including their characteristics and properties. Each lesson focuses on a single math concept. This allows young learners to focus on specific concepts until fully comprehend them. The lessons come with corresponding multiple-choice quizzes that can be used to asses students' understanding of the topics covered.
- Line type identification
- Line segments
- Parts of regular polygons
- Quadrilateral shapes
- Facts about pentagons, hexagons, and octagons
- Info about right angles
- Geometric shapes and the line of symmetry
- Examples of congruent figures
- Properties of solid figures
- The area of a triangle
- Finding surface area
- The definition of perimeter
1. Identifying Types of Lines: Lesson for Kids
Think about all the different lines you see on a daily basis. Lines are everywhere! Come and learn about parallel, perpendicular, vertical and horizontal lines in this lesson. You will be able to spot them with ease!
2. Line Segment: Lesson for Kids
When you go to the grocery store you stand in a line. When you go to a movie, you also stand in a line. At an amusement park, you stand in a lot of lines! But did you know that in math, those aren't really lines at all - they're line segments!
3. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
4. Quadrilateral Lesson for Kids: Definition & Shapes
You've learned about different types of shapes, but do you know about quadrilaterals? In this lesson, explore the definition of a quadrilateral and find out about many familiar and new types of quadrilaterals!
5. Pentagon Shape Facts: Lesson for Kids
Find out all kinds of interesting facts about the five-sided shape called the pentagon! Learn about this shape, the different types of pentagons, examples of pentagons and why it's called a pentagon.
6. Hexagon Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
A hexagon is a polygon that has six sides and six angles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify a hexagon, including the different types, as well as where to find some examples in everyday life.
7. Octagon Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
You see octagons every day, but can you identify one when you see it? In this lesson, you will learn about octagons. Definition, features, and interesting facts will be discussed.
8. Facts About Right Angles
A right angle is a special kind of angle. All right angles are the same, no matter how long their sides are. They are commonly found around the house, school, store, and neighborhood. After this lesson, you will see right angles everywhere!
9. What is a Line of Symmetry in Geometric Shapes?
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to identify shapes that have a line of symmetry in them and know how to find where this line is. A short quiz to test your knowledge will follow the lesson.
10. What Are Congruent Figures? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what congruent figures are. You'll also see a few examples of congruent and non-congruent figures. Then, test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
11. Solid Figures: Definition, Properties & Examples
Solid figures are everywhere around us. In this lesson, we'll learn what solid figures are, and we'll explore some common types of solid figures. After going through the lesson, you will be able to test your new-found knowledge with a quiz.
12. How to Find the Area of a Triangle: Lesson for Kids
Look around you; measurements are everywhere! We measure the length and height of things all the time. The area of a shape is another important measurement to understand. In this lesson, we will explore the steps to finding the area of triangles.
13. Surface Area Lesson for Kids
This lesson explains surface area. You will learn how to use length and width to calculate the areas of the surfaces of an object and add them all together to find the total surface area.
14. Perimeter Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
There are many types of measurement you need to learn. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of perimeter and how to find the perimeter of a variety of shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense
- 3rd Grade Math: Creating & Interpreting Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 3rd Grade Math: Measuring Physical Quantities
- 3rd Grade Math: Reading & Recording Time