About This Chapter
Introduction to Geometric Figures- Chapter Summary
This Introduction to Geometric Figures chapter features video lessons that teach your 3rd graders how to construct line segments, measure angles, illustrate polygons and make geometric constructions with compasses and other tools. Switch around to various lesson topics with the video tags. You can also submit questions to instructors and test your students' grasp of the concepts by giving the chapter examination.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Line Segments and Rays: Definition and Measurement||Teachers explain the segment addition postulate in this lesson.|
|Points, Lines and Angles in Geometry||Students learn about right angles, degrees and types of lines in geometry.|
|Make Geometric Constructions with Tools||Instruction is given in the use of tools such as reflective devices, geometric software and string.|
|Practice Making Geometric Constructions with Tools||Students have opportunities to learn to use the different tools when making geometric constructions.|
|Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles||In this lesson, 3rd graders discover how to copy angles and line segments with construction.|
|Line Segment Bisection and Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction||Students are taught how to bisect line segments.|
|Dividing Line Segments into Equal Parts: Geometric Construction||Students can demonstrate their knowledge by completing examples.|
|Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior and Others||Instructors explain the meanings of different angles.|
|Measuring Complementary, Supplementary, Vertical and Adjacent Angles||Students are taught to measure these types of angles.|
|Constructing an Angle Bisector in Geometry||In this lesson, teachers explain how to use tools to complete this function.|
|Constructing Equilateral Triangles, Squares and Regular Hexagons Inscribed in Circles||Students are taught how to complete this process.|
|Regular Polygons||During this lesson, students illustrate and learn the parts of regular polygons.|
1. Line Segments & Rays: Definition & Measurement
Watch this video lesson to learn the difference between a line segment and a ray. You will also learn how to measure and add line segments. Learn why you can't measure or add a ray.
2. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
3. Methods & Tools for Making Geometric Constructions
Did you know that it's possible to do math without using numbers? This is exactly what Euclid did when he showed how to solve mathematical problems by drawing them out instead of with numbers.
4. Practice Making Geometric Constructions with Tools
There are a number of tools available to geometry students to help make their work a bit easier. In this lesson, we will review how to use many of them in order for you to get the most out of every geometry class.
5. Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles
Watch this video lesson to learn about geometric construction and how you can copy line segments and angles without using any numbers. All you need is a straight edge and a compass.
6. Line Segment Bisection & Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to bisect a line segment without measurements using just a compass and a straight edge. You'll also learn about the midpoint theorem, which lets you calculate the midpoint if you have the measurements.
7. Dividing Line Segments into Equal Parts: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn one way to easily divide any line segment into as many equal parts as you need. Also, learn where in real life this skill comes in handy.
8. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
9. Complementary, Supplementary, Vertical & Adjacent Angles
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to locate complementary, supplementary, vertical, and adjacent angles. You will understand how easy it is to visually see them. You will also know what to look for.
10. Constructing an Angle Bisector in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn a cool way to split an angle in half. You can use this method to split a pie slice in half where you can be sure each side is equal.
11. Constructing Equilateral Triangles, Squares, and Regular Hexagons Inscribed in Circles
Constructing an accurate triangle, square, or hexagon within a circle is a matter of a few simple steps, and can be extremely practical. In this lesson, we'll practice the construction of those three shapes.
12. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time