About This Chapter
3rd Grade Math: Measuring Physical Quantities - Chapter Summary
Open up this chapter to find resources to teach your 3rd graders about measuring physical quantities. The individual lessons give your students a better idea of the different types of measurements, when to use them, and how to take each type of measurement. Our instructors include relevant examples with every lesson, and the visual aids make it easier for young learners to both see and read about these math concepts. In addition, everything we offer is self-paced, so students can learn at a speed that works for their specific needs.
- English and metric units of linear measurement
- Measuring and drawing line segments
- Estimating distance measurements
- Comparing and measuring weight
- Estimating how much objects weigh
- Comparing and taking measurements of liquid volumes
- Making estimates on the volume of liquids
- Defining the term temperature
- Taking temperature measurements
1. Linear Measurements in Metric & English Units: Lesson for Kids
When using linear measurements, it is important to know how many inches there are in a foot and a yard, or how many centimeters are in a meter. This lesson will help you figure that out.
2. How to Draw & Measure Line Segments: Lesson for Kids
Line segments are parts of other shapes and designs in math, but they also exist out in the world. You will need to know how to measure line segments and how draw them. This lesson will teach you how.
3. How to Estimate Measurements of Distance: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn about some methods for estimating linear measurements, like inches, feet, yards, centimeters, and meters. You'll also learn how to check your estimates.
4. How to Measure & Compare Weights: Lesson for Kids
In everyday life, there are many opportunities for you to practice measuring and comparing weights. Come and learn how to do so with different scales and different units of measurement.
5. How to Estimate the Weight of Objects: Lesson for Kids
Estimating the weight of objects is a great skill that you will need in your math classes, as well as your every day life. Come and learn how to estimate objects from the lightest to the heaviest.
6. How to Measure & Compare Liquid Volume: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn how to measure and compare liquid volume. You will also learn what units in the U.S. (Standard) and Metric systems are used to measure volume.
7. How to Estimate Liquid Volume: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn to estimate which unit would be best (cups, pints, quarts, gallons, liters, milliliters, or kiloliters) for measuring liquid capacity or volume for a given sample of liquid.
8. Temperature Definition: Lesson for Kids
Whether it's a bite of hot soup, the cool waters of the ocean, or a fever when we are sick, temperature is a part of our everyday lives. In the lesson, you will learn all about temperature.
9. Measuring Temperature: Lesson for Kids
You shiver when it is cold outside and sweat when it is hot outside, but how can you measure those weather temperatures? And did you know there are even other types of temperatures that can be measured? This lesson looks at all kinds of interesting temperature facts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense
- 3rd Grade Math: Creating & Interpreting Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 3rd Grade Math: Reading & Recording Time
- 3rd Grade Math: Geometric Shapes & Figures