About This Chapter
Money - Chapter Summary
Teachers can use the video lessons in this Money chapter to teach their students to solve word problems involving the identification of different forms of money and the comparison of money amounts. The chapter also consists of self-assessment quizzes.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Coins: Number Value and Letter Name||In this lesson, students learn the names of coins and what they are worth.|
|How to Find the Missing Coin||Students complete examples to demonstrate their understanding.|
|Adding and Subtracting Money Amounts||Throughout this lesson, students complete addition and subtraction word problems and examples.|
|Multiplying Money by Whole Numbers and Decimals||Teachers show their students how to work with decimals and whole numbers.|
|Comparing Two Sets of Money||Students learn to determine the greater value when comparing two sets of money.|
|Solving Word Problems with Money||Instructors teach students how to use bills and coins to solve math problems.|
1. Coins: Number Value & Letter Name
Learn about the coins that we use to purchase things in the United States, including the value of each type of coin, the name of each type of coin, and what each coin looks like.
2. How to Find the Missing Coin
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve missing coin problems. Learn what mathematical operations you should use to figure out what kind of coin you are missing.
3. Adding & Subtracting Money Amounts
Some people say money makes the world go around, but as this lesson demonstrates, money gets added and subtracted, just like anything else. Using the example of an allowance, we'll see how adding and subtracting money is really quite simple.
4. Multiplying Money by Whole Numbers & Decimals
Want to find out how much you and your friends can spend on a party if you all have the same amount of money? Or maybe you'd want to buy investments one day in hopes of being rich! In either event, you'll need to know how to multiply money.
5. Comparing Two Sets of Money
In this lesson, you will be comparing two sets of money. You'll learn how to use circles and scrap paper to find the amount of money in each set, as well as everyday math symbols to write an equation for the money sets.
6. Solving Word Problems with Money
Using money is an important skill that you'll use your whole life. Nearly every transaction that you do that involves money can be thought of as a word problem. In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve word problems that involve money.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Time