About This Chapter
Number Sense & Arithmetic - Chapter Summary
Using the video lessons in this Number Sense & Arithmetic chapter can help increase your 3rd grade students' understanding of skip counting, and standard and expanded whole numbers. You could also help your 3rd graders to memorize word names for numbers. Test their knowledge with the included multiple choice quizzes.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Put Numbers in Order||Students can learn how to properly order numbers from one through 100,000.|
|Place Values in Whole Numbers||Students discover the value of an individual number within whole numbers.|
|Using Word Names for Numbers||The instructor demonstrates how to identify and write numbers as names.|
|Recognizing and Representing Whole Numbers||Students are taught about whole numbers in word, standard and expanded forms.|
|Roman Numerals 1 - 20||In this lesson, instructors teach students to recognize and write Roman numerals from one through 20.|
|How to Compare Numbers||During this lesson, students learn the symbols for greater than and less than, and they get practice in using the symbols.|
|How to Skip Count||The instructor explains the skip counting process to 3rd graders.|
|Even and Odd Numbers||This lesson teaches the differences between even and odd numbers to 3rd graders.|
|Arithmetic with Whole Numbers||Students are taught basic arithmetic in this lesson.|
1. How to Put Numbers in Order
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to order numbers from smallest to largest and from largest to smallest. You will also know how to compare numbers to figure out which goes first and which goes last.
2. Finding Place Values in Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the location of any place value that you are given. You will also be able to identify them in any whole number.
3. Using Word Names for Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how the worlds of math and English mix together. Learn how to go from English to math and then back to English again. Learn how every single math number has an equivalent English word for it.
4. Recognizing & Representing Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can recognize the three different forms we have for writing our whole numbers. Also learn how you can represent any whole number using any one of these three forms.
5. Roman Numerals 1-20
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify and write the numbers 1-20 using Roman numerals. You will learn how a Roman numeral is different from the numbers we are familiar with, and you will learn the rules of Roman numerals.
6. How to Compare Numbers with Math Symbols
After viewing this lesson, you should know how to compare numbers. You will learn the different names for the math symbols that are used to compare numbers, as well as what they look like.
7. How to Skip Count
In this lesson, you will learn how you can skip count. Find out how to count by twos and by threes, and see how you can skip count by any given number.
8. How to Identify Even & Odd Numbers
In this short lesson, you will learn a bit more about numbers. You will learn what makes a number even, what makes a number odd, and how to identify each.
9. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time