About This Chapter
Probability and Statistics - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this Probability and Statistics chapter were developed to teach your 3rd graders how to calculate the probabilities of dependent and independent events as well as the outcome of experiments. The procedures for calculating mean, median, range and mode are also covered. Multiple-choice quizzes will test how well your students grasp concepts related to probability and statistics.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Introduction to Probability||In this video lesson, students learn formulas for calculating an event's probability.|
|Probability of Independent and Dependent Events||Students are taught how to distinguish between these two events.|
|Experimental Probability||Students are instructed in the use of spinners and die rolls to determine an experiment's outcome.|
|Probability of Compound Events||Teachers explain the term compound events, then students practice finding probability for this event type.|
|Mutually Exclusive Events and Non-Mutually Exclusive Events||Students learn the differences between these kinds of events.|
|Math Combinations: Formula and Example Problems||This lesson highlights combinations, permutations and factorial operations.|
|How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode and Range||Teachers outline the steps for making median, mean, range and mode calculations.|
1. Introduction to Probability: Formula & Examples
Ever taken a chance on something? Before you took that chance, did you want to know what your chances were on actually winning? Then you were dealing with probability, the likelihood that a specific event will occur.
2. Probability of Independent and Dependent Events
Sometimes probabilities need to be calculated when more than one event occurs. These types of compound events are called independent and dependent events. Through this lesson, we will look at some real-world examples of how to calculate these probabilities.
3. Experimental Probability: Definition & Predictions
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the concept of experimental probability and apply it to coins, dice, a deck of cards, and even real world scenarios.
4. Probability of Compound Events: Definition & Examples
Determining the probability of compound events involves finding the probability of each event and then determining how to combine them. This lesson will give you the tools to find the probability and finish with a quiz to cement your knowledge.
5. Mutually Exclusive Events & Non-Mutually Exclusive Events
In this lesson, we look at the ideas of mutually exclusive and non-mutually exclusive events. As we will learn, just because two events are non-mutually exclusive events are possible, that doesn't make them likely.
6. Math Combinations: Formula and Example Problems
Combinations are an arrangement of objects where order does not matter. In this lesson, the coach of the Wildcats basketball team uses combinations to help his team prepare for the upcoming season.
7. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time