About This Chapter
Subtraction- Chapter Summary
The video lessons in the Subtraction chapter teach 3rd grade students how to subtract whole numbers and numbers that have multiple digits. Other chapter lessons address subtraction patterns and input\output tables. Video tags allow you to focus on specific lessons, and the included quizzes ensure that your 3rd graders are learning the material.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Perform Subtraction: Steps and Examples||While studying this lesson, students can discover techniques for subtracting numbers.|
|How to Complete the Subtraction Sentence||Students can apply what they've learned by completing examples.|
|Working with Subtraction Input\Output Tables||Instructors show their 3rd graders how to solve input\output tables with subtraction.|
|Subtracting Numbers up to Three Digits||In this lesson, students are taught to subtract numbers with multiple digits and to solve subtraction word problems.|
|Balancing Subtraction Equations||The students have opportunities to apply their knowledge of the process of subtracting equations.|
|Subtraction Patterns Over Increasing Place Values||Throughout this lesson, students are taught about subtraction patterns and place values.|
1. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
2. How to Complete the Subtraction Sentence
Subtraction is something you do to figure out how much is left, how much to give away, or how much is missing. During this lesson, you will learn how to complete a subtraction sentence when different parts are missing.
3. Working with Subtraction Input-Output Tables
In this lesson, you'll find out what an input-output table is and how to use one. You'll also learn about the vocabulary used with the table and how to complete a subtraction input/output table.
4. How to Subtract Numbers Up to Three Digits
This lesson will teach you how to subtract numbers up to three digits. Try some practical examples with only three short steps to follow in order to ensure success when subtracting.
5. How to Balance Subtraction Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the missing value in a subtraction equation. Learn what it takes to make sure that both sides of a subtraction equation are equal.
6. Identifying Subtraction Patterns Over Increasing Place Values
In this lesson, identifying subtraction patterns over increasing place values will be covered. The strategy taught will include using basic facts to help find solutions to more advanced problems. There will be a quiz at the end.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time