About This Chapter
Time - Chapter Summary
Using the video lessons in the Time chapter allows instructors to teach their 3rd grade students how to read calendars and time schedules as well as understand elapsed time. The chapter's self-assessment quizzes measure students' progress.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Tell Time||Teachers explain techniques for telling time on analog clocks.|
|Solving Questions of Elapsed Time||Students have opportunities to solve practice word problems.|
|Reading a Calendar||In this lesson, students are taught how to read a calendar.|
|Identifying Time Patterns||Students complete practice problems on time patterns in this lesson.|
|How to Convert Between Hours and Fractions of Hours||Instructors teach conversions between hours and parts of hours to 3rd grade students.|
|How to Read Time Schedules||Students can apply what they've learned about deciphering time schedules by completing practice problems.|
|How to Read Time Lines||In this lesson, students learn how to work with time lines and will complete examples.|
1. How to Tell Time on an Analog Clock
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to read the big clock with moving hands that is on the wall of most classrooms. You will see how the clock is divided into hours, minutes, and seconds.
2. How to Measure & Calculate Elapsed Time
Time is constantly passing, but how can we calculate how much time is passing? In this lesson, we'll learn what elapsed time is and explore two ways to measure and calculate it.
3. Reading a Calendar
After watching this lesson, you will be able to look at any calendar, and you will know how to find the day, the month, and the year. You will see how using a calendar can help you keep track of your activities.
4. Identifying Time Patterns
Patterns can be found in our clothes, in nature, and even in our clocks. Time patterns are important to understanding the world around us. In this lesson, you will learn about time patterns and how to identify them.
5. How to Convert Between Hours & Fractions of Hours
In this lesson, learn how to convert time units so no one can trick you when you're given a time frame to do your homework or to clean your bedroom. Discover the basic rule for conversion and practice with time conversion.
6. How to Read Time Schedules
You're off to summer camp, but you have to be able to read your schedule so you can participate in all of your activities! This lesson will teach you to read and understand a time schedule and how to understand elapsed time, a.m. and p.m., and an analog clock.
7. How to Read Timelines
Timelines can teach you a lot about both historical and personal events if you know how to read them. In this lesson, you will learn how to read the title, time periods, and events on a timeline.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Triangles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money