About This Chapter
Triangles - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in the Triangles chapter illustrate the different components of triangles and the various types of triangles. They teach 3rd graders how to identify and classify these geometric shapes. The video lessons are often less than ten minutes long, and they include video tags for moving around between topics.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Triangles: Definition and Properties||Students learn about the vertex, base, height and apex of triangles.|
|Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides||Instructors teach 3rd graders about the different kinds of triangles that exist.|
|Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles||Teachers explain the angles of triangles in this lesson.|
|How to Identify Similar Triangles||Students are taught how to recognize these shapes.|
|Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems||Students are allowed to practice what they've learned.|
|Practice Identifying Triangles||Instructors teach the differences between acute, obtuse, isosceles, equilateral and right triangles.|
1. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
2. Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides
Not all triangles are the same. There are equilateral, isosceles and scalene triangles. Then there are right, acute and obtuse triangles. In this lesson, we'll learn how to classify triangles using their sides and angles.
3. Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition & Examples
Knowing just a few things about the interior or exterior angles of triangles is sometimes all you need to put all the pieces together. Find out more in this lesson.
4. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
5. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
6. Practice Identifying Triangles
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify all kinds of triangles. You'll learn the identifying factors of each type of triangle, including the kinds of angles and lines to look for.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Properties
- 3rd Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 3rd Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition
- 3rd Grade Math: Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Division Skills Practice
- 3rd Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- 3rd Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 3rd Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 3rd Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 3rd Grade Math: Angles
- 3rd Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 3rd Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 3rd Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 3rd Grade Math: Fractions
- 3rd Grade Math: Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Time