About This Chapter
3rd Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, go over fractions and decimals with your 3rd grade students. The learning materials offered on our site give young learners, parents, and teachers a convenient way to review these math concepts. With a laptop, desktop, tablet, or smartphone, students can easily go over lessons on numerators and denominators, place value with decimals, different types of fractions, and more. No matter where you are, our site gives young learners secure access to the help they need to understand these math concepts
- Understanding fractions
- Working with denominators and numerators
- Solving problems with mixed numbers
- Defining equivalent fractions
- Evaluating fractions that have like denominators
- Writing and understanding decimals to the hundredths place
- Converting fractions to decimals
1. Fractions: Lesson for Kids
A fraction gives information using two parts. In this lesson, you'll learn the two parts of a fraction and what they mean. You'll also learn how to read a fraction.
2. Numerator & Denominator Lesson for Kids
When we divide a whole into parts, we use fractions. There are all kinds of fractions: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and they all have something in common, a number above the line and another below. Let's learn about fractions and their numerators and denominators now.
3. What Are Mixed Numbers? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will give the definition of mixed numbers and explain the purpose mixed numbers serve. It will also provide plenty of examples to ensure complete understanding of this concept.
4. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
5. Comparing Fractions With Like Denominators: Lesson for Kids
When we compare things in math, we may say that something is equal to, greater than or less than something else. In this lesson, you will learn how to compare fractions with like denominators.
6. How to Read & Write Decimals to the Hundredths Place: Lesson for Kids
Decimal numbers can look funny and sometimes be confusing. In this lesson, you will learn how to read and write decimal numbers to the hundredths place.
7. Fractions to Decimals: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn how fractions and decimals represent parts of a whole. You'll also learn how to convert fractions into decimals and practice with a few examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense
- 3rd Grade Math: Creating & Interpreting Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 3rd Grade Math: Measuring Physical Quantities
- 3rd Grade Math: Reading & Recording Time
- 3rd Grade Math: Geometric Shapes & Figures