About This Chapter
3rd Grade Science: Life Cycles & Evolution - Chapter Summary
Review this chapter with your 3rd grader to reinforce details about life cycles and evolution. All of our materials are online, so your students can use their classroom computers and tablets or their devices at home to review lessons on heredity, natural selection and fossils. Each lesson concludes with a quiz that you can use to assess their understand or help them get an idea of what may be on their test at school.
- The life cycles of animals
- Plant life cycles
- Variation of traits and heredity
- The process of natural selection
- Animal adaptations
- Facts about fossils
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with life cycles and evolution will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about life cycles and evolution.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding life cycles and evolution
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about the life cycles of living organisms
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about life cycles and evolution
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the life cycles and evolution topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about life cycles and evolution.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands life cycles and evolution by completing the 3rd Grade Science: Life Cycles & Evolution chapter exam.
1. Animal Life Cycles: Lesson for Kids
What do humans, fish, and dragonflies have in common? They all go through a life cycle! Life cycles can be very different from animal to animal. This lesson describes the basic stages of life cycles, while noting some differences between animals.
2. Life Cycle of a Plant: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever looked up at a tall tree and wondered how it got there? In this lesson, you will learn the basic life cycle of a plant, including how plants begin, grow, change and give life to new plants.
3. Heredity & Variation: Lesson for Kids
What do genes and jeans have in common? They both come in pairs! Learn about how genes are passed down form parents to children and about how genes can vary from one person to another in this lesson.
4. Natural Selection Lesson for Kids
You've probably noticed that plants and animals are different shapes and sizes, but you might never have thought about how or why they are different. This lesson will teach you about natural selection and its effect on diversity in our world.
5. Animal Adaptations: Lesson for Kids
If you've ever observed your own backyard or looked at books about animals, you've noticed there is a lot of diversity among animal species all over the world This is because of animal adaptations. Read on to explore more about the behavioral and physical traits of animals known as adaptations.
6. Fossil Facts: Lesson for Kids
If you've ever visited a natural history museum, you've probably observed fossils of dinosaurs, mammoths, plants, and insects. While these are bones, they're probably not the type that would interest your dog! In this lesson, you will learn what a fossil is, how a fossil is formed, and what type of scientist studies fossils.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Science course
- 3rd Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 3rd Grade Science: Nature of Matter
- 3rd Grade Science: Forms & Sources of Energy
- 3rd Grade Science: Force & Motion
- 3rd Grade Science: Light & Sound
- 3rd Grade Science: Ecology, Pollution & Conservation
- 3rd Grade Science: Classification of Animals
- 3rd Grade Science: The Human Body
- 3rd Grade Science: Earth's History & Surface Processes
- 3rd Grade Science: Astronomy
- 3rd Grade Science: Space Exploration
- 3rd Grade Science: Weather & Climate