About This Chapter
3rd Grade Science: Weather & Climate - Chapter Summary
Open up this chapter to give your 3rd graders a recap on weather and climate. Our team of expert instructors created this chapter to address all of the major concepts and vocabulary words covered in a typical 3rd grade weather unit, including seasons, forecasting and natural disasters. Students can go at their own pace as they move from lesson the lesson, and they can challenge their knowledge by answering quizzes at then end of each lesson.
- Definition of climate
- Types of climate
- A description of weather
- Characteristics of weather patterns
- An explanation of the seasons
- Forecasting the weather and weather maps
- Techniques for graphing weather patterns
- Types of severe weather and natural disasters
- Weather emergencies and safety precautions
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with weather and climate will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about weather and climate.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the science behind weather and climate
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about weather and climate
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about weather and climate
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the weather and climate topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about weather and climate.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands weather and climates by completing the 3rd Grade Science: Weather & Climate chapter exam.
1. Climate Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
The Amazon rainforest. The Sahara Desert. The Arctic Circle. All of these locations are part of our world, but their climates are drastically different. In this lesson, you will learn the definition of climate and the different climate zones in our world.
2. Climate Types: Lesson for Kids
The Earth has lots of different climates types. These climate types are classified together because they have similar characteristics (like temperature and precipitation).
3. What is Weather? - Lesson for Kids
Look out the window. Is it raining? Is it sunny? Is it hot or cold? The answers to these questions tell you what the weather outside at that moment in time. This lesson will explain what weather is and what causes it.
4. Weather Patterns: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn about weather patterns that are all around you. These patterns help us decide whether it's a good day to go to the beach or to stay inside with a good book.
5. Why Do We Have Seasons? - Lesson for Kids
Have you ever stepped out on a blazing hot day or walked through a snowstorm and wondered why we have seasons? Seasons on Earth are created by tilt and rotation and this lesson will help you learn why we have them.
6. Weather Forecasting: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever headed outside on a sunny day, only to be caught in a rainstorm later that afternoon? Weather forecasting helps us dress and prepare for different types of weather. In this lesson, you will be introduced to the basics of weather forecasting.
7. Weather Maps Lesson for Kids
Understanding how to use weather maps can help you plan for your day and week. This lesson describes what weather maps are, why they are important, and how to read them, and we'll explore different types of weather maps.
8. How to Graph Weather Patterns: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn how to create different graphs and tables to investigate data about the weather. Once you have learned how to graph the weather, you will be able to take the information learned in this lesson and apply it to many other aspects of life, like how many of each Lego it takes to build a robot! Your imagination is the only limitation!
9. Severe Weather Types: Lesson for Kids
Weather is an important part of our everyday lives. Learn about different types of severe weather and the dangers that they can cause, such as hurricanes, blizzards and more.
10. Natural Disaster Lesson for Kids
Has your TV ever said to you, 'This is a test', followed by a long beep? This is the TV Emergency Alert System. Most of the time it's just a test, but the TV Emergency Alert System is used to warn people of dangerous weather. This article will teach you about these sudden weather events known as 'natural disasters'.
11. Safety Precautions for Weather Emergencies
Hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning, and flooding! What should you do to prepare for weather emergencies? Learn some important precautions to take, and then see what you know with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Science course
- 3rd Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 3rd Grade Science: Nature of Matter
- 3rd Grade Science: Forms & Sources of Energy
- 3rd Grade Science: Force & Motion
- 3rd Grade Science: Light & Sound
- 3rd Grade Science: Ecology, Pollution & Conservation
- 3rd Grade Science: Classification of Animals
- 3rd Grade Science: Life Cycles & Evolution
- 3rd Grade Science: The Human Body
- 3rd Grade Science: Earth's History & Surface Processes
- 3rd Grade Science: Astronomy
- 3rd Grade Science: Space Exploration