About This Chapter
4th Grade English: Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling - Chapter Summary
Commas, periods, quotation marks and apostrophes become old friends and useful tools in these short, easy-to-follow lessons. This chapter will help you teach your 4th graders how to choose the right punctuation for each sentence, which words to capitalize and when, how to use commas correctly, and much more. Spelling rules become clear and understandable for your students, and the tips and hints make correct spelling easy.
This study guide is useful for classroom instruction, home-schooling or tutoring, depending on your students' needs. The short duration of the lessons allows you to fit them easily into your schedule, while the convenient online platform allows students to work from any device that allows access to the Internet. Lesson quizzes and a chapter test enable parents and teachers to check for retention and mastery of the material, while the engaging, fun format keeps students interested.
- Rules and definition for capitalization
- How to use end punctuation and choose punctuation for effect
- When and how to use commas, comma rules
- Correct use of the apostrophe, with examples
- Kid-friendly lesson on using and making contractions
- How to punctuate quotations, dialogue and titles
- Strategies and tips for correcting spelling in writing
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with capitalization, punctuation and spelling will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about how to spell, which words to capitalize, and how to use punctuation properly.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding when and how to use commas
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about spelling and punctuation rules
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about capitalization, punctuation and spelling
- Students who struggle to understand their English teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover punctuation and spelling rules your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about when and how to capitalize a word.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands punctuation, spelling and capitalization by completing the 4th Grade English Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling chapter exam.
1. Capitalization Lesson for Kids: Rules & Definition
Capitalizing words allows them to be set apart from the other words in a sentence. A capital letter is like a highlight; it draws the reader's attention to it. Read the following lesson to learn the rules of capitalization.
2. End Punctuation: Lesson for Kids
No matter what you are writing about, every sentence has to end. In this lesson, you will learn about the three different types of end punctuation that can be used at the end of a sentence.
3. Comma Rules: Lesson for Kids
Commas are one of the punctuation marks that make many students shudder in fear. But don't cower, students! If you take the time to learn the rules, they're easy. Be brave, and follow along!
4. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
5. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
6. Contractions: Lesson for Kids
Can't, she'll, we've, and they're are all words that have something in common. They are contraction words! In today's lesson we will learn about contractions and work with a few examples.
7. Punctuating Dialogue & Quotations: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn the correct way to write and punctuate the things people say. These things include direct quotations and conversations.
8. Punctuating Titles in Writing: Lesson for Kids
Learn the rules for correctly punctuating titles of works, including books, newspapers, poems, song titles and more. Understand when to use underlining, italicizing, and using quotation marks for titles.
9. Choosing Punctuation for Effect: Lesson for Kids
If you've ever listened to someone read a story and it was totally boring, they probably didn't use punctuation with effect. In this lesson, you will learn how to use punctuation to add more enthusiasm to your writing. Let's see how.
10. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade English course
- 4th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding
- 4th Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Response
- 4th Grade English: Literary Terms
- 4th Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 4th Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 4th Grade English: Stories, Myths & Speeches
- 4th Grade English: Poetry
- 4th Grade English: Parts of Speech
- 4th Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 4th Grade English: Sentence Parts & Types
- 4th Grade English: Writing Basics & Techniques
- 4th Grade English: Types of Writing
- 4th Grade English: Speaking & Listening