About This Chapter
4th Grade English: Speaking & Listening - Chapter Summary
These short and fun lessons are designed to help improve and solidify speaking and listening skills at the 4th-grade level. Our bite-sized lessons simplify basic speech skills and strategies, as well as useful preparation and participation methods for class discussions. You can monitor your students' progress on the course Dashboard and assign them the lesson quizzes to make sure they've fully grasped the material.
- Discussion preparation and participation
- Essential speech skills
- Using audio and visuals for presentations and speeches
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with their speaking and listening skills will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn 4th-grade speaking and listening strategies.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding speaking and listening concepts
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help with listening or speaking
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to improve their speaking and listening skills
- Students who struggle to understand their English teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the speaking and listening concepts your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about speaking and listening strategies.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student has taken away fundamental speaking and listening concepts by completing the 4th Grade English: Speaking & Listening chapter exam.
1. Preparing for a Discussion: Lesson for Kids
It can be amazing fun to talk - and even argue - about text. Preparing for a discussion is a necessary step in being an active participant in your own learning, and this lesson will get you ready to do just that.
2. Participating in a Discussion: Lesson for Kids
Participating in a discussion is a great way to share your thinking on a topic or text, and it's also a great way to find out what your peers think. Read this lesson for tips on how to effectively participate in a discussion.
3. Speech Skills: Lesson for Kids
Speaking or presenting to an audience can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be! This lesson will explore ways to give an interesting presentation and keep your audience engaged.
4. Incorporating Audio Recordings in Presentations: Lesson for Kids
Do you want to add something a little different to your next presentation? Consider including sound recordings! Come and learn how audio recordings can help your presentation, the do's and don'ts of using them, as well as some technical directions in this lesson.
5. Using Visuals when Speaking: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever heard the comment, seeing is believing? Sometimes when people see something they understand it better. In this lesson, you are going to see how visual aids enhance the point you are making when speaking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade English course
- 4th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding
- 4th Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Response
- 4th Grade English: Literary Terms
- 4th Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 4th Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 4th Grade English: Stories, Myths & Speeches
- 4th Grade English: Poetry
- 4th Grade English: Parts of Speech
- 4th Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 4th Grade English: Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling
- 4th Grade English: Sentence Parts & Types
- 4th Grade English: Writing Basics & Techniques
- 4th Grade English: Types of Writing