About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction - Chapter Summary
As your 4th grade students learn about addition and subtraction, make use of this chapter to aid in their progress. The chapter has been separated into short, bite-size lessons that are certain to keep young learners engaged. Each lesson remains focused on a single concept, so students can spend time on developing their skills in each area of this mathematics chapter. Although we provide extensive learning materials, sometimes parents and students may have additional questions. Through the user dashboard, students and parents can send their questions to our team of experts.
- Increasing place values and patterns in addition
- Steps for adding two or more numbers with 4 or more digits
- Techniques for subtracting numbers up to 3 digits
- Using regrouping for 4-digit subtraction
1. Identifying Addition Patterns Over Increasing Place Values
In this lesson, you will learn how to take a basic addition fact that you know and use it to figure out patterns of addition when place values increase.
2. How to Add Two Numbers with Four or More Digits
So, you already know how to add two-digit numbers and now you're ready to move on to something harder? In this lesson, you will learn how to add two numbers that have four or more digits!
3. How to Add Three or More Numbers with Four or More Digits
In this lesson, learn step-by-step how you can add three or more numbers that have four or more digits. Brush up on place value and find out how it can help you solve addition problems like this.
4. How to Subtract Numbers Up to Three Digits
This lesson will teach you how to subtract numbers up to three digits. Try some practical examples with only three short steps to follow in order to ensure success when subtracting.
5. 4 Digit Subtraction with Regrouping
This lesson will cover four-digit subtraction. We'll talk about the step-by-step process for solving these types of problems, including how you can use regrouping to help.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math course
- 4th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication Strategies & Mental Math
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Division
- 4th Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 4th Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 4th Grade Math: Lines, Angles & Shapes
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Units & Conversions
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Representing Data