About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Data & Graphs - Chapter Summary
Teach your 4th grader how to interpret graphs, charts, plots, tables and schedules with the help of fun instructional videos that allow students to examine the components of these visual displays at their own pace. Students can also use video transcripts to quickly and easily access this information when creating frequency charts and bar graphs of their own. Plus, if you need help pinpointing any topics your student is struggling with, the multiple-choice quizzes and chapter test can give you feedback on his or her progress.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Reading & Interpreting Bar Graphs||Students discover the components of bar graphs before learning how to read and interpret the information included within them.|
|Practice with Bar Graphs||This lesson includes sample problems for students who need additional practice with bar graphs.|
|Creating a Bar Graph After Gathering Data||Instructors walk students through the steps involved in creating a bar graph's vertical and horizontal scales.|
|Reading & Interpreting Stem-and-Leaf Plots||Students get experience interpreting information included in stem-and-leaf plots.|
|Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables & Schedules||Instructors explain how the rows and columns contained in schedules and tables can be used to organize data.|
|Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World||Students take a look at the real-world applications of these types of diagrams.|
|Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs||This lesson explains how to interpret the data points included on a line graph.|
|Reading and Interpreting Circle Graphs and Central Angles||Students explore the uses of circle graphs and learn how to measure a circle's central angle.|
|Creating Frequency Charts||Instructors show students how to use and create a frequency chart.|
1. Reading & Interpreting Bar Graphs
In this lesson, you will learn about the parts of a bar graph and what they mean. You will look at the title, labels, and bars of data, and then you can practice reading and interpreting a sample bar graph.
2. Practice with Bar Graphs
Bar graphs tell you how much you have of different things, but that's not all they can tell you! In this lesson, we'll practice reading and analyzing bar graphs and learn how to use them to compare amounts.
3. Creating a Bar Graph After Gathering Data
This lesson will show you how to create a bar graph from data you have collected. You will choose what information to compare, draw and label the parts of the graph, and give it an informative title.
4. Reading & Interpreting Stem-and-Leaf Plots
Stem-and-leaf plots? No, we are not going to study plants. In this lesson, you will learn what a stem-and-leaf plot is, how to read one, and how to interpret it. You will become a pro in no time!
5. Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables & Schedules
In math, when we have to deal with a lot of data, having a visual format to present all the data becomes very useful. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take advantage of two of these visual formats.
6. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
7. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 4th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 4th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 4th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 4th Grade Math: Addition
- 4th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 4th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Division
- 4th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 4th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 4th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 4th Grade Math: Angles
- 4th Grade Math: Triangles
- 4th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 4th Grade Math: Circles
- 4th Grade Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- 4th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 4th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 4th Grade Math: Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Money
- 4th Grade Math: Time
- 4th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 4th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences