About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding - Chapter Summary
Make estimation and rounding problems easier for your elementary school student with fun videos that demonstrate methods for rounding whole numbers, decimals and mixed numbers in order to estimate the solution to arithmetic problems. The self-guided lessons allow 4th graders to study estimation material covered in class at a pace that works for them, while the quizzes make it easy for you to measure their progress.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Round Whole Numbers||Students learn to round 2- and 3-digit numbers to the nearest tens or hundreds.|
|Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1,000, 10,000 & 100,000||Students improve their rounding abilities by focusing on numbers with these place values.|
|Estimating a Difference by Rounding||This lesson shows students how to round numbers in order to estimate the solution to subtraction problems.|
|How to Use Front-End Estimation||Instructors demonstrate the use of this rounding technique to estimate the solution to addition and subtraction problems.|
|Rounding Decimals & Finding the Missing Digit||This lesson shows students how to round decimals and answer sample problems that ask them to identify missing digits.|
|Estimating the Sum & Difference Between Two Decimals||Students get experience estimating the solution to addition and subtraction problems containing decimals.|
|How to Round Mixed Numbers||Instructors demonstrate methods for rounding mixed numbers to the nearest whole number.|
|How to Estimate Products||Students practice estimating the solution to multiplication problems.|
|How to Estimate Quotients||This lesson explains how to estimate the solution to division problems.|
|How to Solve Inequalities Using Estimation||Students apply their estimation skills to solve inequalities.|
1. How to Round Whole Numbers
View this lesson to learn how you can round whole numbers. Practice rounding to the nearest tens and hundreds. Learn which digit you need to look at to know whether to round up or down.
2. Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1000, 10,000 & 100,000
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to round larger numbers like a pro. Learn what the cutoff numbers are for rounding up and down to the nearest thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
3. Estimating a Difference by Rounding
After studying this lesson, you will understand rounding basics. You'll also learn how to quickly solve subtraction problems by using your rounding skills.
4. How to Use Front-End Estimation
In this video lesson, you will learn how to estimate addition and subtraction problems by using the method of front end estimation. Learn what is involved and what you need to be careful of.
5. Rounding Decimals & Finding the Missing Digit
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to round decimals and how to use your knowledge of rounding to help you find a missing digit. Learn what the difference is between rounding decimals and rounding regular numbers.
6. Estimating the Sum & Difference Between Two Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how to take an addition or subtraction problem with decimals and estimate the answer by rounding. You will learn that a rounded answer is very close to the actual answer.
7. How to Round Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to round mixed numbers easily and quickly. You will learn about what number to look at to determine whether you should round up or round down.
8. How to Estimate Products
In multiplication problems, sometimes we want to get an answer that is 'close enough,' not exact. In this lesson, you will learn how to estimate products to get a 'close enough' answer.
9. How to Estimate Quotients
It may seem crazy to think you can quickly estimate the answer to something like 81,837/95 but by the end of this lesson, you'll be able to easily estimate quotients of simple and more difficult division problems. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with practice examples.
10. How to Solve Inequalities Using Estimation
In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve inequality problems without doing a lot of complicated addition and subtraction. We'll explore the process of estimating the quantities on both sides of the inequality symbol, which can be helpful when solving these problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 4th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 4th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 4th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Addition
- 4th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 4th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Division
- 4th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 4th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 4th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 4th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 4th Grade Math: Angles
- 4th Grade Math: Triangles
- 4th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 4th Grade Math: Circles
- 4th Grade Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- 4th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 4th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 4th Grade Math: Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Money
- 4th Grade Math: Time
- 4th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 4th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences