About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Lines, Angles & Shapes - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, find the information you need to better explain lines, angles, and shapes to 4th grade students. Easy-to-follow lessons help young learners better understand the definitions and terms associated with these math concepts. The lessons may also offer students additional practice to draw, name, and label geometric shapes. You and your student can go through every lesson in this chapter, or you can use the chapter menu to focus on the lessons in which your 4th grader needs the most assistance.
- Geometric angles, lines, and points
- Determining line types
- Various kinds of angles
- Definition of a regular polygon
- Polygon names
- Characteristics of vertices
- Facts and properties of triangles and circles
- Quadrilateral diagonals
- Examples of solid figures
- Definition of congruent figures
- Description of similar polygons
- Geometric shapes and lines of symmetry
1. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
2. Identifying Types of Lines: Lesson for Kids
Think about all the different lines you see on a daily basis. Lines are everywhere! Come and learn about parallel, perpendicular, vertical and horizontal lines in this lesson. You will be able to spot them with ease!
3. Types of Angles: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will meet Natalie, a fourth-grade student who uses a clock and her schedule to discover different types of angles. By the end of this lesson, you will know what an angle is and how to identify the four different types of angles.
4. What is a Regular Polygon? - Lesson for Kids
What is a regular polygon? If you do not know, you have come to the right place! In this lesson, you will learn how to spot a regular polygon in a lineup!
5. Names of Polygons
When your mom stops at a stop sign, what shape is it? When you slide into home plate, what shape is the base? Everywhere we look, we can see shapes called polygons, which we'll learn about in this lesson.
6. Vertices: Lesson for Kids
Vertices are everywhere! Geometry includes lines, shapes, and solid figures, and all of these can make or have vertices. In this lesson, learn the definition of a vertex and the different ways we can identify and describe vertices in geometry.
7. Triangle Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Triangles may be a simple shape but there are lots of different types! In this lesson, we will clearly define a triangle and think about some of the different kinds of triangles.
8. Properties of a Circle: Lesson for Kids
You come across so many shapes every day, and one of the most unique is the circle. This simple shape plays a huge role in our lives. In this lesson, you will learn about the parts of a circle!
9. Diagonals of Quadrilaterals: Lesson for Kids
There are many types of lines: straight lines, curvy lines, lines at right angles, and lines that cross. But do you know about perpendicular and bisecting diagonals within quadrilaterals? Why don't you read this lesson and learn about them?
10. Solid Figures: Definition, Properties & Examples
Solid figures are everywhere around us. In this lesson, we'll learn what solid figures are, and we'll explore some common types of solid figures. After going through the lesson, you will be able to test your new-found knowledge with a quiz.
11. What Are Congruent Figures? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what congruent figures are. You'll also see a few examples of congruent and non-congruent figures. Then, test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
12. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
13. What is a Line of Symmetry in Geometric Shapes?
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to identify shapes that have a line of symmetry in them and know how to find where this line is. A short quiz to test your knowledge will follow the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math course
- 4th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication Strategies & Mental Math
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Division
- 4th Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 4th Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Units & Conversions
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Representing Data