About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals - Chapter Summary
This chapter's entertaining video lessons and multiple-choice quizzes can give your 4th grade student extra practice working with decimals found in number sequences, addition and subtraction sentences, and multiplication and division problems. Lessons also show students how to estimate decimals and make real-world arithmetic problems, like those involving money, easier to solve.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems||Students learn to maintain place value when adding and subtracting decimals.|
|Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems||This lesson shows students how to multiply and divide decimals.|
|How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems||Students learn how to make problem solving easier by rounding decimals before adding, subtracting, or multiplying them.|
|Practice Estimating Sums, Differences and Products of Decimals||This lesson includes additional sample problems for estimating decimals.|
|Solving Problems using Decimal Numbers||Instructors outline real-world examples of when students might need to solve math problems that include decimals.|
|Solving Number Sequences Involving Decimals||Students learn to find missing decimal numbers in a number sequence.|
|Practice Completing Addition and Subtraction Sentences with Decimals||This lesson gives students practice completing addition and subtraction sentences that include decimals.|
|Practice Adding Three or More Decimals||Students use skills gained in the previous lessons to solve problems containing three or more decimals.|
1. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
2. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
3. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
4. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
5. Solving Number Sequences Involving Decimals
We work with decimals when we see prices at the store and count money, and sometimes we use decimals when we take measurements. In this lesson, we'll focus on completing number sequences involving decimals.
6. Practice Completing Addition and Subtraction Sentences with Decimals
Decimal numbers occur in many different contexts. It is important to know how to use them in basic operations, such as addition and subtraction. In this lesson, you will practice adding and subtracting decimal numbers.
7. Practice Adding Three or More Decimals
This lesson gives a short and easy way to add 3 or more decimals. It explains step by step how to set up a decimal addition problem and how to do the problem. It also explains some new words that you should know when adding decimals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 4th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 4th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 4th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 4th Grade Math: Addition
- 4th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 4th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Division
- 4th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 4th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 4th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 4th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 4th Grade Math: Angles
- 4th Grade Math: Triangles
- 4th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 4th Grade Math: Circles
- 4th Grade Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- 4th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 4th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 4th Grade Math: Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Money
- 4th Grade Math: Time
- 4th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 4th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences