About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Representing Data - Chapter Summary
This chapter can be used to show 4th grade students the different ways in which they can represent data. Our instructors separate the chapter into shorter lessons, and each lesson focuses on a single math concept. Within the lessons, students can learn the definitions and characteristics of different graphs, tables, charts, and plots, and they will also learn when to use them. The instructors also include practical examples that make sense to younger learners, which can help your students get a stronger grasp on these math concepts.
- The coordinate plane and ordered pairs
- Types and uses for bar graphs
- Understanding stem-and-leaf plots
- Interpreting line graphs
- Defining frequency
- Using a frequency table to find mode, median, and mean
1. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
2. Bar Graph: Definition, Types & Examples
A bar graph is a mathematical representation of data. In this lesson, you will learn the definition of a bar graph, including how to recognize the different types of bar graphs. You will also learn how to create bar graphs.
3. Reading & Interpreting Stem-and-Leaf Plots
Stem-and-leaf plots? No, we are not going to study plants. In this lesson, you will learn what a stem-and-leaf plot is, how to read one, and how to interpret it. You will become a pro in no time!
4. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
5. Frequency Definition: Lesson for Kids
Sometimes you may want to know how often things happen or keep track of how many of one thing or the other you have. That is where frequency and a frequency table will be helpful.
6. Finding Mean, Median & Mode on a Frequency Table
Many times when you are dealing with statistical data, it will be presented in the form of a frequency table. As you'll see in this lesson, frequency tables often take much of the hard work out of analyzing a data set.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math course
- 4th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication Strategies & Mental Math
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Division
- 4th Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 4th Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 4th Grade Math: Lines, Angles & Shapes
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Units & Conversions
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Problems