About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions - Chapter Summary
Helping your 4th graders learn how to simplify whole number expressions or just reinforce the training they've received in the classroom is easy with these short and fun video lessons. Each lesson covers a critical concept, like simplifying multiplication or division expressions, in a quick video that breaks each topic down into easy-to-follow chunks. You can make sure your 4th graders understand each topic with the quizzes that follow the lessons.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Simplify an Addition Expression||This lesson introduces the steps used to simplify an addition expression.|
|How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression||The video uses examples to help students learn about simplifying a subtraction expression.|
|How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression||Students can practice simplifying multiplication expressions.|
|How to Simplify a Division Expression||Instructors teach the basic steps for simplifying division expressions.|
|How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses & Exponents||Students look at expressions that use parentheses and exponents and practice simplifying them.|
1. How to Simplify an Addition Expression
Learn how to simplify and combine like terms in any algebraic expression that uses addition with this lesson. Also learn how to follow the order of operations when simplifying your expression.
2. How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any subtraction expression by combining like terms. Learn what to look for and how easy this is to do.
3. How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression
In this video lesson, you will learn how to simplify a multiplication expression that has both numbers and variables in it. Learn what you need to watch for and how to write your simplified expression.
4. How to Simplify a Division Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn how to simplify a division problem that has both numbers and letters in it. See what you need to do to get the correct answer. Also, learn what you can do to make your job easier.
5. How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses & Exponents
Watch this video lesson to learn how important it is to follow the order of operations. Learn what to do when you see parentheses and exponents in your math problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 4th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 4th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 4th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 4th Grade Math: Addition
- 4th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 4th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Division
- 4th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 4th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 4th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 4th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 4th Grade Math: Angles
- 4th Grade Math: Triangles
- 4th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 4th Grade Math: Circles
- 4th Grade Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- 4th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 4th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 4th Grade Math: Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Money
- 4th Grade Math: Time
- 4th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 4th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences