About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems - Chapter Summary
Use these entertaining video lessons to ensure your 4th grade students develop the skills necessary to solve math word problems. Our experienced instructors outline the steps to solving word problems and then work examples. They also introduce students to using sketches or notes when tackling word problems, and show them how relating the word problem to something more familiar may make solving it easier. You will find a short, multiple-choice quiz at the end of each lesson, perfect for checking student comprehension.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Solving Word Problems: Steps and Examples||This lesson explains then demonstrates how to solve word problems.|
|Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps||Students learn how to solve multi-step word problems using the basic steps from the previous lesson.|
|Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images||This lesson demonstrates how students can use diagrams, sketches or notes to make word problems easier to solve.|
|Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding||Students learn how to use familiar information to restate word problems, making them easier to understand.|
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 4th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 4th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 4th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 4th Grade Math: Addition
- 4th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 4th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Division
- 4th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 4th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 4th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 4th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 4th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 4th Grade Math: Angles
- 4th Grade Math: Triangles
- 4th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 4th Grade Math: Circles
- 4th Grade Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- 4th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 4th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 4th Grade Math: Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 4th Grade Math: Money
- 4th Grade Math: Time
- 4th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 4th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences