About This Chapter
4th Grade Math: Understanding Decimals - Chapter Summary
Give your students a better chance to understand decimals by having them review this chapter. You and your student can work together through lessons on comparing and converting decimals and fractions as well as solving word problems that include them. The chapter menu makes it easy for you to scroll through the different lessons so if you know the specific topic your student needs help with, you can go directly to that lesson. The majority of our lessons can each be completed in 5-10 minutes, allowing your students to get the help they need in almost no time at all.
- Writing and understanding decimals to the nearest 10,000th
- Converting between decimals and fractions
- Steps for writing decimal equivalents
- Techniques for comparing decimals and fractions
- Writing decimals in expanded form
- Rounding decimals
- Using a number line to find and place decimals
- Subtracting and adding decimals
1. Reading & Writing Decimals to the Nearest Ten-Thousandth: Lesson for Kids
Say you are reading a book and you come across a date or number spelled all the way out. Would you know how to change it into numbers? What about changing numbers into words? Learn how to do both in this lesson.
2. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
3. How to Write Decimal Equivalents: Lesson for Kids
Fractions are strange things. We know what half of a pizza and what one quarter of a dollar looks like, but what if we need to convert these values into decimals so we can use a calculator? Find out in this lesson.
4. How to Compare Decimals: Lesson for Kids
Comparing decimal numbers may seem a little confusing at first, but they can be compared like any other numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to compare decimal numbers to the hundredths place value.
5. Comparing Fractions & Decimals: Lesson for Kids
Fractions and decimals are both ways to express amounts that are less than a whole number. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert a fraction into a decimal so that you can then compare two numbers.
6. How to Write Decimals in Expanded Form
Decimals can be pretty confusing. In this lesson, you will learn the value of decimal places to the thousandths and how to write them in expanded form using decimals as well as fractions.
7. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
8. Placing & Finding Decimals on a Number Line
Decimals are what happens when you break a single piece into tenths, like changing a dollar for dimes or a dime for pennies. In this lesson, we'll explore how to find decimal numbers on the number line.
9. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Math course
- 4th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions
- 4th Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction
- 4th Grade Math: Multiplication Strategies & Mental Math
- 4th Grade Math: Understanding Division
- 4th Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 4th Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 4th Grade Math: Lines, Angles & Shapes
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Units & Conversions
- 4th Grade Math: Measurement Problems
- 4th Grade Math: Representing Data