About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes - Chapter Summary
The lessons and quizzes in this chapter are designed to help your 4th grader refresh his or her understanding of the science subjects involving energy, including sound and light energy, temperature, energy transfer and conversion. Our study materials are designed by professional instructors specifically for young students. You can use the lesson quizzes and chapter test to see how well your student understands what he or she is learning in class or to identify where further study is needed.
- Define energy and kinetic energy
- Give examples of sound energy and light energy
- Explain what heat energy is
- Measure conductivity, temperature and solubility
- Describe energy transfer
- Understand collision and energy change
- Explain the different types of energy conversion
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with science topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about energy types and changes.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding energy subjects
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about energy types and changes
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about energy
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover energy topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about energy types and changes.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the science of energy by completing the 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes exam.
1. What is Energy? - Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn more about what energy is and how you use energy in your everyday life. Discover the different types of energy that are all around us!
2. Sound Energy: Lesson for Kids
Energy is all around us. We see it in light and feel it in heat, but what is it we hear? The answer is sound! Music, the mosquito buzzing in your ear, and the crack of the baseball bat are all examples of energy we can hear: sound.
3. Light Energy Examples: Lesson for Kids
Light energy is all around us. We use it to see, cook, and even change the channel on our TVs! In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of light energy.
4. Heat Energy Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Heat - you experience it everyday, and it is essential for life, but have you ever thought about where it comes from? In this lesson, find out what heat energy is and three ways it can be transferred.
5. Measuring Temperature, Conductivity & Solubility: Lesson for Kids
Objects can be measured based on their temperature, conductivity and solubility. In this lesson, you will learn about interesting ways to measure these properties in objects that you probably see every day.
6. Energy Transfer: Examples & Overview
Learn about energy and how the sun provides the energy needed to sustain life on Earth. Discover energy transfer and how energy is neither created nor destroyed, but moves from one place to another or changes from one form to another.
7. Kinetic Energy Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
To make a basket during a game of basketball or score a point in volleyball, you need more than just skill, you need kinetic energy. Learn what kinetic energy is and how it's measured, and explore some everyday examples of kinetic energy at work in this lesson.
8. Collision & Energy Change: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered exactly what happens when a bat hits a baseball or when a tennis ball bounces off a racket? In this lesson, you'll find out about how energy changes when objects collide.
9. Types of Energy Conversions
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what energy is and what we mean when we say energy is 'conserved,' and give some examples of conversions between different types of energy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types
- 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System