About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes - Chapter Summary
Our study materials help 4th graders understand the concepts of mass, density, and physical and chemical changes as they relate to science and matter. These short lessons and videos help make learning fun and approachable and are geared specifically to young students. Our instructors are available to help if you have questions as you move through the chapter. Use the lessons and quizzes to catch up in class or prepare for a project at any time on a computer, tablet or mobile device.
- Define mass and volume as they're used in science
- Give some facts about density
- Explain what a vacuum is
- Provide examples of physical change and chemical change
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with science topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about matter changes and properties.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding science subjects
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about matter changes and properties
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about matter
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover science topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about matter properties and changes.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the science of matter by completing the 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes exam.
1. What is Mass? - Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we'll learn about mass. We'll explore how mass and weight are not the same thing and why it is important to understand the difference between the two!
2. What is Volume in Science? - Lesson for Kids
You may know of the many ways to talk about an object, from how tall it is to what color it is. But did you know that there's another way to describe an object? In this lesson, we will talk about volume.
3. Density Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, we will look at the definition of density, which can be used to describe everyday objects. We will also look into the density of a few objects and observe density in real life.
4. What is a Vacuum in Science? - Lesson for Kids
You use a vacuum to clean dirt off the floor, but did you know that a different kind of vacuum is used in science? Astronomers, physicists, and engineers use vacuums for various reasons, least of which is cleaning! Find out what a vacuum is and how they are used in science.
5. Physical Change Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
What do making a paper airplane and painting a picture of your favorite animal have in common? They're both examples of physical change. By the end of the lesson, you will be able to define physical change and understand how to make these changes yourself.
6. Chemical Change Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what a chemical change is and how to tell if one is happening. You'll be able to determine a chemical change through the presence of known chemical properties.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types
- 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System