About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types - Chapter Summary
Assess how well your 4th grader is doing in his or her science classes by reviewing this chapter on rocks, fossils, and different rock types and their properties. These lessons and quizzes have been designed by professional instructors to interest young learners and can be accessed at any time, seven days a week. If they need help or have questions as they read the chapter, our instructors are available for assistance.
- Name some of the properties of rocks
- Describe the rock cycle
- Define what metamorphic rock is
- Go over the different types of igneous rocks
- Give facts about sedimentary rocks
- Understand where fossils can be found
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with science topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the types of rocks and their properties.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding science subjects
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about rock types
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about the properties and types of rocks
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the rock properties topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about rock properties and types.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the different types of rocks by completing the 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types exam.
1. Properties of Rocks: Lesson for Kids
Rocks are everywhere! You have definitely seen rocks before and maybe even learned about them in school. This lesson will teach you all about the different properties, or characteristics, of rocks.
2. Rock Cycle Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Let's explore the rock cycle, which shows the movement and transformation of rock materials. We'll explore the three basic stages of the rock cycle - igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.
3. Metamorphic Rock Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Rocks are everywhere! You see them every day in lots of different places, but did you know that there are three types of rocks? This lesson will teach you all about metamorphic rocks and how they are formed.
4. Types of Igneous Rocks: Lesson for Kids
Rocks come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and are found all over the world. Rocks are classified, or grouped, according to how they are formed. In this lesson, you'll learn more about one of those groups, igneous rocks. Now, let's rock and roll!
5. Sedimentary Rocks Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
You can find sedimentary rocks all along Earth's surface--even in your own backyard. Let's find out what sedimentary rocks are and learn how they are made.
6. Where Are Fossils Found? - Lesson for Kids
Fossils are evidence of the plants and animals that lived thousands of years ago. Scientists search for them in sedimentary rocks that are found on many continents. In this lesson, we'll learn about fossils and where various types have been found.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System