About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types - Chapter Summary
Assess how well your 4th grader is doing in his or her science classes by reviewing this chapter on rocks, fossils, and different rock types and their properties. These lessons and quizzes have been designed by professional instructors to interest young learners and can be accessed at any time, seven days a week. If they need help or have questions as they read the chapter, our instructors are available for assistance.
- Name some of the properties of rocks
- Describe the rock cycle
- Define what metamorphic rock is
- Go over the different types of igneous rocks
- Give facts about sedimentary rocks
- Understand where fossils can be found
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with science topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the types of rocks and their properties.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding science subjects
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about rock types
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about the properties and types of rocks
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the rock properties topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about rock properties and types.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the different types of rocks by completing the 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types exam.
1. Properties of Rocks: Lesson for Kids
Investigate the various properties and characteristics of rocks. Discover how rocks vary in color, texture, shape, size, luster, and hardness. Finally, explore how these characteristics help to identify a rock's type.
2. Rock Cycle Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Learn about the rock cycle, a model of how rocks can change. Discover the three types of rocks, how each type forms, and the processes that can change them into other types of rock.
3. Metamorphic Rock Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Metamorphic rocks are rocks formed from other types of existing rock due to changes in heat or pressure. Learn about the definition and examples of metamorphic rocks and discover facts about how these rocks are formed.
4. Types of Igneous Rocks: Lesson for Kids
Igneous rocks are created when lava cools and becomes hard. Learn how igneous rocks are formed and discover the two types of igneous rocks: intrusive and extrusive.
5. Sedimentary Rocks Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Sedimentary rocks are formed from small pieces of rocks and land, which are called sediments. Learn about the definition and types of sedimentary rocks, and discover interesting facts about them.
6. Where Are Fossils Found? - Lesson for Kids
Learn about fossils and where they are found. Discover how a fossil forms, the different types of fossils, and the relationship between fossils and sedimentary rock. Finally, explore where fossils can be discovered.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System