About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have created these lessons and quizzes to help 4th grade students understand science topics related to the atmosphere, including high and low pressure, layers of the atmosphere and the water cycle. Each lesson also includes a corresponding quiz that you can use to test their understanding of main topics - or print to study on the go.
- Steps in the water cycle
- Types of clouds
- Layers of the atmosphere
- Solar radiation
- Direction, speed and causes of wind
- How air masses affect weather
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with atmosphere topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the atmosphere.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the science aspects of the atmosphere
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about the science of the atmosphere
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about the atmosphere
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the atmosphere topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about the atmosphere.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the atmosphere by completing the 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere exam.
1. Water Cycle Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Learn about the water cycle, a repeated process that moves water around the planet. Discover the four stages of the water cycle and what they do: evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and collection.
2. Types of Clouds: Lesson for Kids
There are many different types of clouds in the sky. Discover why meteorologists have different categories for clouds, and explore the characteristics of cumulus, stratus, alto, and cirrus clouds.
3. Layers of the Atmosphere Lesson for Kids
Learn about the atmosphere, the gases surrounding the planet, and how it is divided into layers. Explore the troposphere, mesosphere, stratosphere, thermosphere, and exosphere of the planet. Discover what differentiates these layers.
4. What is Solar Radiation? - Lesson for Kids
Solar radiation refers to the sunlight and energy given off by the sun. Learn more about solar radiation and understand its importance, as well as its uses in technology.
5. Wind Lesson for Kids: Facts & Causes
Wind is moving air that is caused by the difference in air pressure due to temperature differences. Learn facts about the wind and explore what causes wind and how it can be harnessed.
6. Wind Lesson for Kids: Direction & Speed
Learn about wind and discover the different properties and types of wind. Explore the causes of wind and how to determine wind direction. Finally, investigate the dominant winds on Earth and the characteristics of wind speed.
7. High & Low Air Pressure Lesson for Kids
Explore the meteorological topic of air pressure. Discover what defines a high- or low-pressure system, weather typically associated with these systems, and why air pressure is responsible for stronger-than-usual winds.
8. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses are volumes of air with distinct characteristics, including location, temperature, and water content. Discover the different types of air masses and explore their effects on the weather.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System