About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have created these lessons and quizzes to help 4th grade students understand science topics related to the atmosphere, including high and low pressure, layers of the atmosphere and the water cycle. Each lesson also includes a corresponding quiz that you can use to test their understanding of main topics - or print to study on the go.
- Steps in the water cycle
- Types of clouds
- Layers of the atmosphere
- Solar radiation
- Direction, speed and causes of wind
- How air masses affect weather
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with atmosphere topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the atmosphere.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the science aspects of the atmosphere
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about the science of the atmosphere
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about the atmosphere
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the atmosphere topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about the atmosphere.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the atmosphere by completing the 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere exam.
1. Water Cycle Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
This lesson goes over how water moves through the environment. It reviews the different parts of the water cycle, including evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and collection.
2. Types of Clouds: Lesson for Kids
When you look up at the sky, you may notice that some clouds look very different from others. Clouds come in a variety of forms, and we will explore the different types of clouds in this lesson.
3. Layers of the Atmosphere Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn about the layers of the atmosphere and what's special about each layer. You'll also learn how the conditions change as you move up from the ground into outer space.
4. What is Solar Radiation? - Lesson for Kids
The sun is important because it provides the Earth and living things with the necessary energy to survive. In this lesson, you will learn about the sun's solar radiation, its different forms, and why we need it.
5. Wind Lesson for Kids: Facts & Causes
There are many names to describe the wind, from a breeze to a gust. But all wind is created in a similar way. Learn what causes the wind and how the sun helps the wind to blow.
6. Wind Lesson for Kids: Direction & Speed
Have you ever felt the breeze on a windy day? What about strong winds before a storm? Come and learn what wind is and explore prevailing winds, wind speed and wind direction.
7. High & Low Air Pressure Lesson for Kids
Did you know that air has weight? That's right, and that weight is what we call air pressure! In this lesson, investigate high and low pressure, and find out how they affect our weather.
8. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System