About This Chapter
4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound - Chapter Summary
Our lessons on the science topics of sound and waves, including additional study of the properties of waves, sound vibrations and travel, are designed by our professional instructors specifically for young students. These engaging lessons are accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz that you can use to test your student's understanding of the subject. The test at the end of the chapter works as a prep tool for an upcoming exam or a classroom project.
- Explain the properties of waves
- Describe how waves and information transfer
- Give some facts about sound waves
- Discuss how sound travels
- Detail the vibration of sound
- Understand how musical instruments use sound and waves
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with science topics will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the science of sound and waves.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding science subjects
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about waves and sound
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about sound and waves
- Students who struggle to understand their science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the waves and sound topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about sound and waves.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands sound and waves by completing the 4th Grade Science: Waves & Sound exam.
1. Properties of Waves: Lesson for Kids
What did one ocean say to the other ocean? Nothing...it just waved! Whether in the ocean or moving through the air through sound or light, all waves have certain properties. This lesson will explain some basic properties of waves.
2. Waves & Information Transfer: Lesson for Kids
Waves are used in science and technology to transfer information from one device to another. In this lesson, you will learn surprising and interesting facts about how this fascinating process occurs.
3. Sound Waves Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Sound waves help you to hear and protect yourself from danger, and they assist some animals with moving around. Continue reading to learn more about how sound waves work and how important they are.
4. How Does Sound Travel? - Lesson for Kids
Learn the secret to how sound can travel. Examine details of sound and how different objects create different sounds. Discover how sound can travel through water, air, or solids.
5. Sound Vibrations: Lesson for Kids
You hear many different sounds each day, but you might not know much about how sound travels. In this lesson, you will learn about sound vibrations, how sound travels, and why sounds are different.
6. Musical Instruments Lesson for Kids: Types & Sounds
In this lesson, we'll look at the different instruments families, how they use and manipulate vibrations to make sounds, and find out why a tuba sounds so different from a violin.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 4th Grade Science course
- 4th Grade Science: Scientific Investigation
- 4th Grade Science: Atoms, Elements & Solutions
- 4th Grade Science: Matter Properties & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Energy Types & Changes
- 4th Grade Science: Electricity
- 4th Grade Science: The Solar System
- 4th Grade Science: The Planets
- 4th Grade Science: Geology
- 4th Grade Science: Weathering & Erosion
- 4th Grade Science: Rock Properties & Types
- 4th Grade Science: The Atmosphere
- 4th Grade Science: Weather & Climate
- 4th Grade Science: Ecosystems
- 4th Grade Science: Living Things & Life Cycles
- 4th Grade Science: The Human Body
- 4th Grade Science: The Circulatory System