About This Chapter
5th Grade English: Parts of Speech - Chapter Summary
This study guide resource is designed to help your 5th grade student review the different parts of speech. Through a series of bite-sized and informative lessons, the chapter will help your student recognize nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. They'll also examine subject-verb agreement, verb tense shifts, prepositional phrases and more. Your 5th grader can check his or her understanding of these English concepts by taking the interactive self-assessment quizzes that follow each lesson.
- Noun types, including singular and plural nouns
- Pronouns types, including personal and possessive pronouns
- Verbs and auxiliary verbs
- Subject-verb agreement
- Shifts in verb tense
- Adjectives and adverbs
- Indefinite and definite articles
- Conjunctions and interjections
- Prepositions and prepositional phases
1. Nouns Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about one part of speech: nouns. You will learn about common and proper nouns, and we'll discuss some of the ways nouns can be used in sentences.
2. Singular & Plural Nouns: Lesson for Kids
Nouns can take many forms. Two of those forms are singular and plural. This lesson will teach you the difference and how to make singular nouns plural.
3. What is a Pronoun? - Lesson for Kids
Say you're writing a story with a main character named J. Tomas Feeblemeyer. How would you feel if you had to write J. Tomas Feeblemeyer over and over throughout your story? How would your reader feel having to read that long name each time? Learn how pronouns can help.
4. What Are Personal Pronouns?
Pronouns are great for making sure debaters don't have to keep repeating the other guy's name over and over again, but they have many other uses too! In fact, pronouns, you could say, make reading readable. In part one, we'll cover personal pronouns and how they're used before moving on to more esoteric varieties.
5. Possessive Pronouns & Contractions: Definition & Examples
In writing, many people get possessive pronouns and contractions confused. In this lesson, we'll discuss the differences between the two, as well as how to use apostrophes in order to form contractions.
6. Verbs Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
'Chop,' 'cut,' and 'kick' are all action words. These action words are called verbs. Today, we will learn what verbs are and briefly discuss the different kinds of verbs.
7. Auxiliary Verb: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will review the definition of a verb and different verb phrases. Then, we'll look at a few examples to help differentiate between the main verb and auxiliary verbs.
8. Subject-Verb Agreement: Rules & Practice
Subject-verb agreement can be very difficult but it is vital to effective writing and speech. In this lesson, you will learn the rules to avoid common mistakes that many people make.
9. Recognizing & Correcting Inappropriate Shifts in Verb Tense: Lesson for Kids
Good writers edit their work to make sure all words are used in the best possible way. One important issue for a writer to check is the use of verb tenses. In this lesson, you'll learn how to recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in verb tense in your writing.
10. Adjectives Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
How would you describe yourself? Would you say you are smart or funny? Is your room messy or neat? Whenever you describe something, you use adjectives. This lesson will teach you what adjectives are and how to use them.
11. Adverbs Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson you'll learn about adverbs. You'll learn what an adverb is, some of the questions an adverb can answer, and how to use adverbs to make your writing stronger.
12. Indefinite and Definite Articles: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson on indefinite and definite articles. Find out when you should use which type of article and when you shouldn't use any article at all.
13. Conjunctions Lesson for Kids: Definition & Example
Conjunctions are the part of speech used to connect words and groups of words. In this lesson, you will learn the three types of conjunctions and how to use them in your writing.
14. What is an Interjection? - Definition & Examples
Interjections are emotional expressions used in writing. This lesson discusses the rules regulating the use of interjections and lists some of the common ones English speakers use to convey feelings.
15. Prepositions Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Prepositions are one of the parts of speech. In this lesson, you will learn about prepositions and prepositional phrases, how to identify them, and how to use them in sentences.
16. Prepositional Phrase Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Prepositional phrases allow us to communicate relationships between objects. Prepositional phrases commonly answer the questions, ~'where~' and~'when.' Read on for a quick review on what a preposition is, and learn how prepositional phrases are incredibly important to communication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade English course
- 5th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding
- 5th Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- 5th Grade English: Literary Terms
- 5th Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 5th Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 5th Grade English: Stories, Myths & Speeches
- 5th Grade English: Poetry & Drama
- 5th Grade English: Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling
- 5th Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 5th Grade English: Sentence Types & Construction
- 5th Grade English: Writing Basics & Techniques
- 5th Grade English: Types of Writing
- 5th Grade English: Speaking & Listening