About This Chapter
5th Grade English: Reading Literary Texts - Chapter Summary
The short and engaging lessons in this chapter cover English topics related to the comprehension and interpretation of literary text. As your 5th grade students work through the chapter, they'll define the elements of story and learn how a text's writing structure affects its meaning. They'll also practice comparing and contrasting several literary elements, such as setting and characters. The chapter comes with interactive self-assessment quizzes to help your students retain the information.
- Story elements and theme
- How to compare and contrast setting, events, characters and stories in the same genre
- Writing structure and its effect on meaning
- Point-of-view in event descriptions
- The use of visuals and multimedia in texts
1. Story Elements Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered what makes up the different parts of stories? In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of story elements, including characters, setting, problem, events, and solution.
2. Theme Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Every story has a theme, sometimes multiple themes! Once you understand theme, you'll begin to understand what you read much better. Read on to learn what theme is and how to identify theme in a story.
3. Comparing & Contrasting Characters, Settings & Events: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever noticed that two completely different people can have many things in common? In this lesson we're going to search for details from stories that can be alike and different. Let's take a look at how we can compare and contrast what we read.
4. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
5. Point-of-View Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Do you love to listen to stories and try to figure out who is telling them? If so, you are going to love learning about point of view. This lesson will teach you what point of view is in stories, the types of point of view, and how to identify the point of view.
6. How Point-of-View Influences Event Description: Lesson for Kids
When you read a new book, it is important to consider its literary elements. One element to consider is point of view. In this lesson you will read about point of view, and consider how point of view affects a story passage.
7. How Visual & Multimedia Elements Contribute to a Text: Lesson for Kids
When you are reading, sometimes it can help to have pictures, videos, or sounds to help you understand the text. In this lesson, you will learn how visual and multimedia elements contribute to a text.
8. Comparing & Contrasting Stories in the Same Genre: Lesson for Kids
This lesson will provide students with an introduction to comparing and contrasting stories in the same genre, focusing on characters, setting, and plot. A Venn diagram will be introduced as a tool to use when comparing and contrasting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade English course
- 5th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding
- 5th Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- 5th Grade English: Literary Terms
- 5th Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 5th Grade English: Stories, Myths & Speeches
- 5th Grade English: Poetry & Drama
- 5th Grade English: Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling
- 5th Grade English: Parts of Speech
- 5th Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 5th Grade English: Sentence Types & Construction
- 5th Grade English: Writing Basics & Techniques
- 5th Grade English: Types of Writing
- 5th Grade English: Speaking & Listening