About This Chapter
5th Grade English: Speaking & Listening - Chapter Summary
This collection of 5th grade English lessons helps young students review and master important speaking and listening skills. Inside the chapter, you'll find a series of short and fun lessons that break down speaking and listening topics in a way that's easy for 5th graders to understand. We've included a short multiple-choice quiz after each lesson to help you evaluate your students' comprehension of the material.
- Discussion preparation and participation
- Essential speech skills
- Using visuals aids and multimedia in speeches and presentations
- How to adapt a speech based on the task or context
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with their speaking and listening skills will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn useful speaking and listening strategies.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding basic speaking and listening concepts
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help with listening or speaking
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to improve their speaking and listening skills
- Students who struggle to understand their English teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the speaking and listening topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about speaking and listening concepts.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student has taken away important speaking and listening concepts by completing the 5th Grade English: Speaking & Listening chapter exam.
1. Preparing for a Discussion: Lesson for Kids
It can be amazing fun to talk - and even argue - about text. Preparing for a discussion is a necessary step in being an active participant in your own learning, and this lesson will get you ready to do just that.
2. Participating in a Discussion: Lesson for Kids
Participating in a discussion is a great way to share your thinking on a topic or text, and it's also a great way to find out what your peers think. Read this lesson for tips on how to effectively participate in a discussion.
3. Speech Skills: Lesson for Kids
Speaking or presenting to an audience can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be! This lesson will explore ways to give an interesting presentation and keep your audience engaged.
4. Including Multimedia in Presentations: Lesson for Kids
Many things go into presentations to make them successful and stand out. In this lesson, you are going to learn about a variety of multimedia tools that can help you create interesting, meaningful presentations.
5. Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help your speech or presentation be even more successful. There are some important considerations when planning to use visuals. Watch this lesson to find out what to do before and during your speech to make your visuals effective.
6. Adapting a Speech to Context & Task: Lesson for Kids
When speaking, we use different words for different occasions - we might be trying to persuade, give our audience information, or just entertain people. Each of these requires different types and forms of speech.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade English course
- 5th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding
- 5th Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- 5th Grade English: Literary Terms
- 5th Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 5th Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 5th Grade English: Stories, Myths & Speeches
- 5th Grade English: Poetry & Drama
- 5th Grade English: Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling
- 5th Grade English: Parts of Speech
- 5th Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 5th Grade English: Sentence Types & Construction
- 5th Grade English: Writing Basics & Techniques
- 5th Grade English: Types of Writing