About This Chapter
5th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding - Chapter Summary
This chapter outlines strategies for word recognition, reading for understanding, and decoding words so your 5th grader will have the best success in English. You will find that each lesson is accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz so you can gauge how well your student understands the material and where he or she may need to study further. The end-of-chapter exam can be used to help your student prepare for a test or homework assignment.
- Read with purpose and understanding
- Use context to increase comprehension
- Decode words
- Understand multisyllabic words
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with word reading comprehension will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about how to understand and recognize words.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to recognize words
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help understanding words
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about word recognition
- Students who struggle to understand their English teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover word recognition and understanding topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about word recognition.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands sentence construction by completing the 5th Grade English: Word Recognition & Understanding chapter exam.
1. Strategies for Reading with Purpose & Understanding: Lesson for Kids
Reading can be frustrating when you don't understand what an author is trying to say. Thankfully, there is a five-step process that will help you comprehend a text and read with purpose. Learn what the process is and how you can apply it to everything you read.
2. Using Context for Word Recognition & Understanding: Lesson for Kids
When you read new material, you might find words you don't recognize. You won't always want to use a dictionary. Did you know you can also use context to help you learn the meaning of a new word? Read this lesson to find out more.
3. Decoding Words: Lesson for Kids
This lesson gives you an introduction to phonics and morphemes and how you can use them to decode words you may not know. Let's explore how to figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words by using phonics and analytic skills to solve some word 'mysteries.'
4. Reading Multisyllabic Words: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we'll go over some spelling patterns to help you break down and read long, multisyllabic words. Let's find out how to break down some multisyllabic words using some real-life examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade English course
- 5th Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- 5th Grade English: Literary Terms
- 5th Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 5th Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 5th Grade English: Stories, Myths & Speeches
- 5th Grade English: Poetry & Drama
- 5th Grade English: Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling
- 5th Grade English: Parts of Speech
- 5th Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 5th Grade English: Sentence Types & Construction
- 5th Grade English: Writing Basics & Techniques
- 5th Grade English: Types of Writing
- 5th Grade English: Speaking & Listening