About This Chapter
Data and Graphs - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in the Data and Graphs chapter can help your 5th grade students understand how graphs and tables are used in math. For example, the lessons explain how and when to use histograms, and they teach students to apply the line graph to real-life situations. The multiple-choice quizzes and chapter examination are included to ensure that your students retain the information.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Reading and Interpreting Bar Graphs||The rules for interpreting bar graphs are provided in this lesson.|
|Practice with Bar Graphs||Instructors give students opportunities to practice working with bar graphs.|
|Creating a Bar Graph After Gathering Data||Students are taught to create a bar graph and to label its vertical and horizontal scales.|
|Reading and Interpreting Stem-and-Leaf Plots||Stem-and-leaf plots are defined in this lesson, and students learn to interpret them.|
|Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables and Schedules||This lesson teaches visual methods of organizing data.|
|Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World||Instructors discuss the use of tables and graphs for displaying data.|
|Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs||Instructors define line plots and explain their uses.|
|Reading and Interpreting Circle Graphs and Central Angles||This lesson teaches students how to measure a circle's central angle.|
|Creating Frequency Charts||Students learn to define and create frequency charts.|
|Reading and Interpreting Pictographs||Instructors provide tips for reading and understanding pictographs.|
|What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition and Examples||In this lesson, instructors teach students how to gather information from histograms.|
1. Reading & Interpreting Bar Graphs
In this lesson, you will learn about the parts of a bar graph and what they mean. You will look at the title, labels, and bars of data, and then you can practice reading and interpreting a sample bar graph.
2. Practice with Bar Graphs
Bar graphs tell you how much you have of different things, but that's not all they can tell you! In this lesson, we'll practice reading and analyzing bar graphs, and we'll also learn how to use them to compare amounts.
3. Creating a Bar Graph After Gathering Data
This lesson will show you how to create a bar graph from data you have collected. You will choose what information to compare, draw and label the parts of the graph, and give it an informative title.
4. Reading & Interpreting Stem-and-Leaf Plots
Stem-and-leaf plots? No, we are not going to study plants. In this lesson, you will learn what a stem-and-leaf plot is, how to read one, and how to interpret it. You will become a pro in no time!
5. Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables & Schedules
In math, when we have to deal with a lot of data, having a visual format to present all the data becomes very useful. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take advantage of two of these visual formats.
6. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
7. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
8. What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how useful a histogram can be when you need to show a bunch of data in an easy to read format. Also, learn how you can easily gather the information you need from looking at a histogram.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions