About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Decimals - Chapter Summary
The online video lessons in the Decimals chapter teaches 5th grade students how to round and order decimals. Students also learn how to convert decimals to fractions and vice versa. The chapter examination helps you assess how well your students understand decimals.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Working with Decimals||This lesson teaches students how to read and write decimals.|
|What is a Decimal Place Value?||Students learn to determine value according to the location of a digit.|
|Using Word Names for Decimal Numbers||Instructors show students how to use word names for decimal numbers.|
|Representing Decimals Through Illustrations||Students learn to identify decimals.|
|Comparing and Ordering Decimals||Instructors teach students to compare and count with decimals.|
|Inequalities with Decimals||Students learn how to solve inequalities with decimals, and they complete practice problems.|
|Changing Between Decimals and Fractions||This lesson teaches students how to change decimals to fractions.|
|Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers||Students are taught to change decimals to mixed number form.|
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Representing Decimals Through Illustrations
In this lesson we will briefly review decimals and the relationship to place value. We will learn how decimals can be represented in illustrations, specifically using a grid.
3. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions