About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Division - Chapter Summary
Help your 5th grade student conquer the divisibility rules, operations properties and problem-solving steps needed to divide single- and multiple-digit numbers as well as numbers ending in zero. You can also use this chapter's fun video lessons and quizzes to prepare your student for division word problems and division input-output tables found in his or her homework assignments and tests.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples||Students get an introduction to division symbols and the steps involved in dividing whole numbers.|
|How to Divide One-digit Numbers||This lesson provides students with extra practice dividing one-digit numbers.|
|Divisibility Rules for 2, 5 & 10||Students learn how to tell if a number is divisible by 2, 5 or 10.|
|Dividing With a Remainder||Instructors demonstrate how to work with numbers that do not divide evenly into one another.|
|Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples||Students learn the procedures used to divide large numbers.|
|Dividing Three-digit Numbers||Students build on skills acquired in the previous lessons to divide three-digit numbers.|
|How to Divide Numbers Ending in Zeroes||This lesson teaches students how to set up and solve division problems with numbers ending in zero.|
|How to Complete a Division Table||Instructors show students what a division table looks like and demonstrate the steps involved in completing them.|
|Working with Division Input-Output Tables||Students also learn how to fill in division input-output tables and identify the patterns found within them.|
|Solving Division Word Problems||This lesson helps students apply their division skills to solve word problems.|
|Solving Division Patterns Over Increasing Place Values||Instructors show students how division patterns can be used to solve problems with increasing place values.|
|How to Complete the Division Sentence||Students get practice completing division sentences.|
1. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
2. How to Divide By One-Digit Numbers
Division can make it easy to share things equally with your friends. In this lesson, you will learn the concept of division and an easy way to solve division problems creating your own drawings.
3. Dividing With a Remainder
In this lesson, you will learn what to do when you are dividing and you have a number leftover. We will be using basic division steps and learning all about remainders.
4. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
5. Dividing Three-Digit Numbers
Often, you'll need to know how to divide larger numbers than you have in the past. In this lesson, you'll learn how to divide three-digit numbers, which may come in handy if you ever need to divide more than 99 items among you and your friends.
6. How to Divide Numbers Ending in Zeroes
In this lesson, you will be taught how to divide numbers ending in zeros by learning how to simplify large problems by striking out the common zeros. Test your knowledge with the quiz at the end.
7. How to Complete a Division Table
In this lesson you will learn how to fill out a division chart by using the pattern in numbers. You will be able to use the patterns in the dividend, divisor, and quotient to help you solve division equations and fill in missing numbers.
8. Working with Division Input-Output Tables
Division is a mathematical operation that can be used to solve different real world problems. Learn how to identify division equations from something called an input/output table.
9. Solving Division Word Problems
Division word problems...Do these three words make you want to pull your hair out? Never fear! In this lesson, you'll learn four simple steps that will help you solve those dreaded division word problems.
10. Solving Division Patterns Over Increasing Place Values
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify division patterns over increasing place values by using basic division facts. A quiz will follow the lesson.
11. How to Complete the Division Sentence
If you have every bought food for a party, or shared food with family or friends, you might not have realized you were using multiplication and division. In this lesson, you will learn how to complete a division sentence by using multiplication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions