About This Chapter
Fractions - Chapter Summary
By utilizing the video lessons in the Fractions chapter, you can show your 5th grade students how to order fractions or find the least common denominator. These lessons also focus on how to change decimals to fractions, as well as how to convert fractions to mixed numbers. A chapter examination is included.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types||This lesson teaches students about proper, improper, like and unlike fractions.|
|Identifying Fractions||Students learn to recognize fractions on the number line or fractions that are parts of sets.|
|How to Raise and Reduce Fractions||In this lesson, students learn how fractions are raised and reduced.|
|Relating Fractions and Decimals||Instructors explain the differences between decimals and fractions, and they provide methods for changing between them.|
|How to Find Least Common Denominators||Students learn how least common denominators are found.|
|Comparing and Ordering Fractions||In this lesson, students learn to compare fractions by calculating a common denominator.|
|Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions and Whole Numbers||Students discover how to compare numbers using the number line.|
|Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form||This lesson teaches techniques for converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions.|
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Identifying Fractions
If you were told that you could have 1/4 of the pizza with 8 total slices, do you know what that means? How many slices would that be? Well if you are not sure, you better learn about fractions and what each part of the fraction means!
3. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
4. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
5. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
6. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
7. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
8. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions