About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Geometric Shapes - Chapter Summary
The cleverly written text lessons and short, engaging videos in this chapter can help you show your students how to identify and define figures like circles, arcs, and prisms. This chapter can also help you teach your students how to calculate the area and volume of a prism, the circumference and area of a circle, and the area of triangles, rectangles and trapezoids.
Each lesson is accompanied by a brief quiz so that you can measure your students' understanding of the material. The short duration of the lessons enables you to fit them easily into your class schedule, and the user-friendly online platform allows you to access this study guide at your convenience.
- Defining and identifying examples of circles and circular arcs
- Constructing a circle with a compass
- Calculating the area and circumference of a circle
- Finding the area of rectangles, triangles and trapezoids
- Using formulas to measure the area of a parallelogram
- Measuring the area and volume of a prism
1. Circular Arcs and Circles: Definitions and Examples
What is a circle? In this lesson, find out all about the circle and its many parts, including circular arcs and semicircles. Also, discover how a locus works in creating a circle, parallel lines and more.
2. How to Construct a Circle With a Compass
Constructing a circle with a compass is easy to do, once you've mastered a few techniques. In this lesson, we'll explore an approach that gives great results, every time.
3. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
4. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
5. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
6. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
7. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math course
- 5th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- 5th Grade Math: Integers & Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Factors & Multiples
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 5th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Ratios & Percentages
- 5th Grade Math: Exponents & Square Roots
- 5th Grade Math: Pre-Algebra
- 5th Grade Math: Multi-Step Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Construction
- 5th Grade Math: Statistics & Probability