About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Integers & Whole Numbers - Chapter Summary
This collection of supplemental study resources can help your 5th graders solidify the integer and whole number topics they've been learning in class. The chapter will help young students round, compare and order numbers, as well as estimate sums and differences and add/subtract integers. Students are encouraged to take our interactive multiple-choice quizzes to make sure they fully understand these whole number and integer concepts.
- Ordering and comparing numbers
- Comparing and ordering integers on a number line
- Finding the sum of an integer and its opposite
- Adding and subtracting positive and negative integers
- Rounding whole numbers
- Rounding numbers to the nearest 1,000, 10,000 and 100,000
- Estimating the sums and differences of whole numbers
1. How to Order & Compare Numbers to 999,999,999: Lesson for Kids
When you are working with numbers, it's important to be able to compare the value of two or more numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to order and compare numbers by using the terms greater than, less than, and equal to.
2. How to Compare Integers
In this lesson, you'll learn how numbers or integers compare to others integers. In no time, you will be able to easily and quickly determine whether one number is smaller than, larger than, or equal to another.
3. Comparing & Ordering Integers on a Number Line
This lesson will help you better understand integers and number lines. We will look at how to compare two integers as well as how to place integers on a number line in the correct order.
4. The Sum of an Integer & Its Opposite: Lesson for Kids
Opposites aren't only just two words that mean different thing. There are also opposites in math. In this lesson, you will learn how to find the sum of an integer and its opposite.
5. Adding Positive & Negative Integers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add all kinds of integers together. This is a skill that will benefit you when playing games and when doing math tests. After watching the video, try some example problem on your own with our quiz.
6. Subtracting Positive & Negative Numbers
Subtracting is usually pretty easy, and it is with negative numbers too. When subtracting with negative numbers, there are just a couple of things you need to know. Learn what they are in this lesson.
7. How to Round Whole Numbers
View this lesson to learn how you can round whole numbers. Practice rounding to the nearest tens and hundreds. Learn which digit you need to look at to know whether to round up or down.
8. Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1000, 10,000 & 100,000
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to round larger numbers like a pro. Learn what the cutoff numbers are for rounding up and down to the nearest thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
9. Estimating Sums & Differences of Whole Numbers: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever had to add or subtract large numbers in your head? Depending on how big the numbers are, it can get pretty difficult! This lesson will teach you how to estimate or round large numbers before you add or subtract them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math course
- 5th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- 5th Grade Math: Factors & Multiples
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 5th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Ratios & Percentages
- 5th Grade Math: Exponents & Square Roots
- 5th Grade Math: Pre-Algebra
- 5th Grade Math: Multi-Step Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Shapes
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Construction
- 5th Grade Math: Statistics & Probability