About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Multiplication & Division - Chapter Summary
This collection of 5th grade math lessons can help your students learn or review foundational concepts related to multiplication and division. As your students work through the chapter, they'll exercise their estimation and mental math skills to solve multiplication and division problems. Through our interactive self-assessment quizzes, they'll also get practice applying multiplication and division rules to solve word problems.
- Estimating products and quotients
- Using expanded form to multiply numbers
- Multiplying and dividing numbers with 4 digits
- Mental math strategies
- Division and multiplication word problems
- The relationship between division and multiplication
- Dividing by 0 - 10
1. How to Estimate Products
In multiplication problems, sometimes we want to get an answer that is 'close enough,' not exact. In this lesson, you will learn how to estimate products to get a 'close enough' answer.
2. How to Multiply Using Expanded Form
In this lesson, you will learn what expanded form means, how to convert numbers into expanded form, steps to successfully complete expanded form multiplication, and will view example problems using expanded form multiplication.
3. Multiplying 4-Digit Numbers: Lesson for Kids
Numbers are written using base ten notation. If you understand this, multiplication becomes intuitive and even easy. Dive in to find out the best tricks and techniques to quickly multiply 4-digit numbers.
4. Mental Math Strategies for Multiplication: Lesson for Kids
This lesson has strategies for multiplying large and small numbers in your head. Learn mental math techniques so that you can convert complex multiplication into simpler multiplications and use addition and subtraction to save time.
5. Solving Word Problems With Multiplication: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you'll learn to solve word problems involving multiplication. You'll find out what words in a problem indicate multiplication as well as solve some practice problems.
6. The Relationship Between Multiplication & Division
Did you know that you use multiplication and division when you're sharing food, such as cookies? In this lesson, you will learn about the relationship between multiplication and division.
7. Dividing By Zero: Definition & Concept
In mathematics, division by zero is undefined. Learn why according to the arithmetic and algebraic definitions of dividing by zero in this lesson, and then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
8. How to Divide by 1
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide any number by 1. Learn the rule that will allow you to solve any division by 1 problem in an instant.
9. Divisibility by 2, 3, and 4
In this video lesson, you will learn what it means to be divisible. Also, you'll see what numbers are divisible by 2, 3, and 4. You will also learn how you can check if something is divisible by these numbers.
10. Divisibility by 5, 6, and 7
In this video lesson, we will see what numbers can be divided equally by 5, 6, and 7. Learn the pattern that you can use to find other numbers divisible by 5, 6 and 7. Learn how you can visualize divisibility.
11. Divisibility by 8, 9, and 10
In this video lesson, we will see what numbers are divisible by 8, 9, and 10. You will learn how you can figure out these numbers yourself. Learn what it means to be divisible.
12. How to Estimate Quotients
It may seem crazy to think you can quickly estimate the answer to something like 81,837/95 but by the end of this lesson, you'll be able to easily estimate quotients of simple and more difficult division problems. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with practice examples.
13. Dividing Dividends Up to Four Digits: Lesson for Kids
Think of something you have to share. Sharing something equally is exactly what you do in division. In this lesson, you will learn how to divide four-digit dividends by single-digit or multi-digit divisors.
14. Solving Division Word Problems
Division word problems...Do these three words make you want to pull your hair out? Never fear! In this lesson, you'll learn four simple steps that will help you solve those dreaded division word problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math course
- 5th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- 5th Grade Math: Integers & Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Factors & Multiples
- 5th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Ratios & Percentages
- 5th Grade Math: Exponents & Square Roots
- 5th Grade Math: Pre-Algebra
- 5th Grade Math: Multi-Step Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Shapes
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Construction
- 5th Grade Math: Statistics & Probability