About This Chapter
Operations with Fractions - Chapter Summary
Through the video lessons in this Operations with Fractions chapter, you could teach your 5th grade students how to add and subtract mixed numbers. Your students could learn how to estimate products and quotients as well as how to calculate missing numerators and denominators. A chapter examination is included to measure your students' progress.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Students learn the rules for adding and subtracting mixed numbers and fractions.|
|How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Students solve examples of adding and subtracting mixed numbers and unlike fractions.|
|How to Add and Subtract Fractions with Denominators of 10, 100 and 1,000||This lesson teaches techniques for adding and subtracting fractions with denominators up to 1,000.|
|Multiplying Fractions with Whole Numbers||Instructors teach students to multiply fractions with whole numbers.|
|Multiplying Fractions with Mixed Numbers||In this lesson, techniques for multiplying mixed numbers and fractions are explored.|
|Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Instructors teach students how to divide mixed numbers and fractions, and they provide examples.|
|How to Solve Complex Fractions||Students learn methods for solving complex fractions.|
|Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division with Decimal Notation||This lesson teaches students to solve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division operations with decimal notation.|
|Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic||Students discover how to do mixed number arithmetic.|
|Estimation Problems Using Fractions||Instructors teach students to solve fraction problems with estimation.|
|Practice Estimating Products and Quotients of Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Students learn techniques for estimating products and quotients of fractions.|
|Solving Problems Using Fractions and Mixed Numbers||In this lesson, students are taught to compare fractions as well as how to multiply and divide fractions.|
|How to Add Three or More Fractions with Like and Unlike Denominators||This lesson teaches the steps for adding three or more fractions with different denominators.|
|Finding a Missing Numerator or Denominator in Addition and Subtraction Sentences||Students practice calculating missing numerators and denominators in mathematical sentences.|
|Solving Inequalities with Addition and Subtraction of Fractions||Instructors demonstrate techniques for solving inequalities with addition and subtraction.|
1. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
2. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
3. How to Add & Subtract Fractions with Denominators of 10, 100 & 1,000
In this lesson, we will see how to add and subtract fractions with denominators of 10, 100, and 1000. After learning how to do this, we will look at a couple of real life examples and apply the process of solving to these problems.
4. Multiplying Fractions with Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to multiply any fraction with any whole number. Learn the one simple rule that will tell you which numbers you need to multiply to get your answer.
5. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
6. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
7. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
8. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
9. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
11. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
12. How to Add Three or More Fractions with Like & Unlike Denominators
Fractions are everywhere. You might use them when you cook or when you share items with friends and family, even if you don't realize it. In this video, we'll explore how to add three or more fractions with unlike denominators.
13. Finding a Missing Numerator or Denominator in Addition & Subtraction Sentences
Having trouble finding missing numerators and denominators in fraction addition and subtraction number sentences? Learn how to find that missing number and solve the equation in this lesson on fraction addition and subtraction number sentences.
14. Solving Inequalities with Addition & Subtraction of Fractions
In this lesson we will break down inequalities into their basic steps to help make them easier to understand. We'll talk about what each symbol means and how basic math skills work together to make inequalities easy to work through.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions