About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Pre-Algebra - Chapter Summary
These simple and engaging math lessons are designed to help your 5th graders review fundamental pre-algebra topics and practice solving a variety of math problems. Our expert math instructors break down pre-algebra concepts, such as variables, expressions, equations and formulas, by using easy-to-understand definitions and illustrative examples. Each lesson comes with a short self-assessment quiz to help your student practice solving pre-algebra word problems.
- Variables in algebra
- Using substitution to evaluate simple expressions
- Writing formulas and equations
- Solving multi-step word problems
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Evaluating Simple Expressions with Substitution: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you will learn about mathematical expressions, including what's in them and how to solve them. You'll also have the chance to work on some practice problems.
3. How to Write Equations & Formulas
Writing equations and formulas correctly is generally the first step toward solving or using them, especially in word problems or real-life situations. In this lesson, we will explore the steps for writing equations and formulas.
4. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math course
- 5th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- 5th Grade Math: Integers & Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Factors & Multiples
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 5th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Ratios & Percentages
- 5th Grade Math: Exponents & Square Roots
- 5th Grade Math: Multi-Step Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Shapes
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Construction
- 5th Grade Math: Statistics & Probability