About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions - Chapter Summary
If your 5th grader needs to learn or review the differences between ratios, rates and proportions, check out the resources included in this chapter. The short, engaging video lessons can help students develop a solid understanding of these measures so they'll be able to solve real-world problems involving time, distance and money. There are also multiple-choice quizzes useful for tracking your student's progress or preparing for an exam.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples||Students discover the differences between ratios and rates before learning how to calculate both of these measures.|
|How to Find the Unit Rate||Instructors discuss the methods required to find unit rates when given a rate with a denominator other than one.|
|How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Ratios||Students apply their knowledge of ratios to solve a series of one-step problems.|
|How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Rates||This lesson shows students how their knowledge of rates can be used to solve one-step problems.|
|How to Solve Problems with Money||Students learn to calculate total cost by setting up and solving a multiplication problem involving the number of units and the cost per unit.|
|Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples||This lesson includes step-by-step instructions for solving problems involving proportion.|
|Calculations with Ratios and Proportions||Students practice applying their knowledge of ratios and proportions to solve sample problems.|
|How to Solve Problems with Time||This lesson helps students learn to solve problems involving time.|
|Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples||Instructors demonstrate the formulas used to solve for distance, rate and time.|
|How to Find an Unknown in a Proportion||Students practice solving problems where one of the variables is unknown.|
|How to Calculate Unit Rates Associated with Ratios of Fractions||Instructors demonstrate the processes involved in determining unit rates for ratios of fractions.|
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
3. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
4. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
5. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
6. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents