About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Ratios & Percentages - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help your students gain proficiency in working with percentages and ratios. This chapter includes information on the definition of percents, rates and ratios, and it provides examples of each. You will find video and text lessons that can help you teach your fifth graders what scale drawings are and how to read them. Lessons also review the steps to solve problems involving speed, distance and time.
This comprehensive and well-organized study guide is designed to give you and your students the maximum information in a short amount of time. The lessons are brief, yet engaging, kid friendly and fun to watch, so your students are never bored or frustrated. The readily-accessible online platform allows your students to study from any device that offers access to the Internet, while the lesson quizzes and chapter test allow you to check your students' comprehension and retention of the material.
- Defining and giving examples of proportions, rates and ratios
- Reading and understanding scale drawings
- Working practice problems using time, distance and average speed
- Recognizing examples and definitions of percents
- Solving problems using percents
- Comparing fractions, decimals and percentages and finding equivalences
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
3. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
4. Distance, Time & Average Speed: Practice Problems
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what distance is, explain how it relates to change in position, and calculate the average speed in various situations. A short quiz will follow.
5. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
6. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
7. Common Equivalences Between Percentages, Fractions & Decimals: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you'll learn how how to express the same number as a decimal, fraction or percentage. You'll also learn the rules for converting a number into one of the other two forms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math course
- 5th Grade Math: Numbers & Number Sense
- 5th Grade Math: Integers & Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Factors & Multiples
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 5th Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Exponents & Square Roots
- 5th Grade Math: Pre-Algebra
- 5th Grade Math: Multi-Step Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Shapes
- 5th Grade Math: Geometric Construction
- 5th Grade Math: Statistics & Probability