About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Subtraction - Chapter Summary
Resources found in this chapter can benefit 5th graders struggling with subtraction problems as well as students looking to hone their arithmetic skills. Engaging video lessons discuss subtraction sentences, input-output tables and subtraction patterns in a way that makes them easy to understand. Plus, the lesson quizzes and chapter test include plenty of practice problems to help your 5th grade student review these subtraction concepts.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples||Students learn the steps involved in subtracting whole numbers.|
|How to Complete the Subtraction Sentence||Instructors explain what a subtraction sentence looks like and how to go about completing one.|
|Working with Subtraction Input-Output Tables||This lesson shows students how to complete subtraction input-output tables. Students also apply their knowledge of number properties to identify and explain arithmetic patterns.|
|How to Subtract Numbers Up to Three Digits||Students practice subtracting 1-, 2- and 3-digit numbers to solve word problems and equations.|
|How to Balance Subtraction Equations||This lesson covers methods for balancing subtraction equations that include numbers with up to three digits.|
|Identifying Subtraction Patterns Over Increasing Place Values||Instructors point out patterns appearing in subtraction problems.|
1. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
2. How to Complete the Subtraction Sentence
Subtraction is something you do to figure out how much is left, how much to give away, or how much is missing. During this lesson, you will learn how to complete a subtraction sentence when different parts are missing.
3. Working with Subtraction Input-Output Tables
In this lesson, you'll find out what an input-output table is and how to use one. You'll also learn about the vocabulary used with the table and how to complete a subtraction input/output table.
4. How to Subtract Numbers Up to Three Digits
This lesson will teach you how to subtract numbers up to three digits. Try some practical examples with only three short steps to follow in order to ensure success when subtracting.
5. How to Balance Subtraction Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the missing value in a subtraction equation. Learn what it takes to make sure that both sides of a subtraction equation are equal.
6. Identifying Subtraction Patterns Over Increasing Place Values
In this lesson, identifying subtraction patterns over increasing place values will be covered. The strategy taught will include using basic facts to help find solutions to more advanced problems. There will be a quiz at the end.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions