About This Chapter
5th Grade Math: Time - Chapter Summary
You may use the Time chapter's brief video lessons to teach your 5th grade students how to measure time and change between hours and fractions of hours. You can also help them to understand calendars and to interpret time schedules. Test your students' retention of time concepts with the multiple-choice quizzes.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Tell Time on an Analog Clock||Students are taught to tell time on clocks.|
|How to Measure and Calculate Elapsed Time||Instructors teach students to measure elapsed time.|
|Reading a Calendar||In this lesson, students learn how to read calendars.|
|Identifying Time Patterns||Students learn how to find missing time, and they complete practice problems.|
|How to Convert Between Hours and Fractions of Hours||Instructors teach students how to switch between hours and fractions of hours.|
|How to Read Time Schedules||The rules for reading time schedules are explained in this lesson.|
|How to Read Time Lines||Throughout this lesson, students discover how to read time lines.|
|Identifying and Calculating Time Zones||Students learn about the world's time zones as well as how to differentiate between them.|
1. How to Tell Time on an Analog Clock
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to read the big clock with moving hands that is on the wall of most classrooms. You will see how the clock is divided into hours, minutes, and seconds.
2. How to Measure & Calculate Elapsed Time
Time is constantly passing, but how can we calculate how much time is passing? In this lesson, we'll learn what elapsed time is and explore two ways to measure and calculate it.
3. Reading a Calendar
After watching this lesson, you will be able to look at any calendar, and you will know how to find the day, the month, and the year. You will see how using a calendar can help you keep track of your activities.
4. Identifying Time Patterns
Patterns can be found in our clothes, in nature, and even in our clocks. Time patterns are important to understanding the world around us. In this lesson, you will learn about time patterns and how to identify them.
5. How to Convert Between Hours & Fractions of Hours
In this lesson, learn how to convert time units so no one can trick you when you're given a time frame to do your homework or to clean your bedroom. Discover the basic rule for conversion and practice with time conversion.
6. How to Read Time Schedules
You're off to summer camp, but you have to be able to read your schedule so you can participate in all of your activities! This lesson will teach you to read and understand a time schedule and how to understand elapsed time, a.m. and p.m., and an analog clock.
7. How to Read Timelines
Timelines can teach you a lot about both historical and personal events if you know how to read them. In this lesson, you will learn how to read the title, time periods, and events on a timeline.
8. Identifying & Calculating Time Zones
Knowing the time zones is very important for communication. To be able to identify and calculate time zones, you must know terms like lines of longitude, prime meridian and the International Date Line.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Triangles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions