About This Chapter
Triangles - Chapter Summary
The Triangles chapter's video lessons teach students to classify triangles according to their sides and angles. Your 5th grade students can learn about the base and height of triangles as well as the characteristics of equilateral, obtuse and acute triangles. Administer the chapter examination to monitor your students' retention of the material.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|Triangles: Definition and Properties||Instructors teach the definition and various parts of a triangle.|
|Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides||Students learn the differences between various kinds of triangles.|
|Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition and Examples||This lesson focuses on interior and exterior angles and includes practice problems.|
|How to Identify Similar Triangles||Students learn what similar triangles are along with triangle similarity theorems.|
|Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems||In this lesson, instructors cover solving angles and triangles through practice problems.|
|Practice Identifying Triangles||Students learn to differentiate between different kinds of triangles in this lesson.|
1. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
2. Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides
Not all triangles are the same. There are equilateral, isosceles and scalene triangles. Then there are right, acute and obtuse triangles. In this lesson, we'll learn how to classify triangles using their sides and angles.
3. Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition & Examples
Knowing just a few things about the interior or exterior angles of triangles is sometimes all you need to put all the pieces together. Find out more in this lesson.
4. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
5. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
6. Practice Identifying Triangles
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify all kinds of triangles. You'll learn the identifying factors of each type of triangle, including the kinds of angles and lines to look for.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- 5th Grade Math: Number Sense & Arithmetic
- 5th Grade Math: Number Properties
- 5th Grade Math: Solving Math Word Problems
- 5th Grade Math: Estimation & Rounding
- 5th Grade Math: Addition
- 5th Grade Math: Subtraction
- 5th Grade Math: Multiplication
- 5th Grade Math: Multiples of Whole Numbers
- 5th Grade Math: Division
- 5th Grade Math: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- 5th Grade Math: Data & Graphs
- 5th Grade Math: Probability & Statistics
- 5th Grade Math: Units of Measurement
- 5th Grade Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- 5th Grade Math: Angles
- 5th Grade Math: Quadrilaterals
- 5th Grade Math: Circles
- 5th Grade Math: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- 5th Grade Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- 5th Grade Math: Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Fractions
- 5th Grade Math: Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Operations with Decimals
- 5th Grade Math: Mixed Operations
- 5th Grade Math: Money
- 5th Grade Math: Time
- 5th Grade Math: The Coordinate Graph
- 5th Grade Math: Patterns & Sequences
- 5th Grade Math: Number Theory
- 5th Grade Math: Integers
- 5th Grade Math: Percents
- 5th Grade Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions